Can I take the MCAT in January for the 2021-2022 cycle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NoahBerden

Reaction score
So, unfortunately, I got a 481 on my second MCAT try, so I have to retake it, and I was wondering if taking the MCAT in January would be a good idea and what schools would accept that score. I really want to get in this cycle and not have to deal with reapplying, so any help in this situation would be great. Also, any free or inexpensive tutor recommendations would be highly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I do not know of any programs that will consider a January MCAT score for the current cycle. What was your first MCAT score? Please, do not rush a third attempt. You scored in the 4th percentile, meaning 96% of other test takers scored above you. Your score indicates significant deficits likely in all 4 sections of the MCAT that will take a substantial amount of time to remediate.

Edit: it seems as though your username / profile picture may be your actual identity. I highly recommend changing it to preserve your anonymity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Hello, sorry for the response a few weeks after the post. A 481 is too low to get into an MD/DO program and I am sorry to break the news. It is already too late to apply this cycle and by the time fo score release for a January test, schools will not look back at your application, even if you get a 528. All the seats will be filled, not to mention how probably 60% of interview seats (if not more) are filled up right now. I would suggest a long term study plan and be very prepare for your retake, maybe in april. This way you are prepared to for next cycle. Best of luck my friend!

During the last cycle, some schools, such as MCW, considered a January MCAT test date, but the vast majority of schools did not. Additionally, the vast majority of schools will not consider a January 2022 test date for admission for this cycle. Because you scored so low, I would not recommend retaking in January. If you're still scoring that low during your second real attempt, it is clear that you are not adequately preparing for the exam. Taking the exam a third time without proper preparation will only hinder your chances further.

Technically, there probably is a school that will consider an MCAT score that late, but it is extremely unlikely that you will be prepared enough to test by then anyway. I would focus on preparing to reapply in a later cycle and taking the MCAT when you can consistently score at least around a 505, which is still low for MD but could potentially earn you admission to a DO program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, unfortunately, I got a 481 on my second MCAT try, so I have to retake it, and I was wondering if taking the MCAT in January would be a good idea and what schools would accept that score. I really want to get in this cycle and not have to deal with reapplying, so any help in this situation would be great. Also, any free or inexpensive tutor recommendations would be highly appreciated.
Regarding free resources, there's Khan Academy's MCAT course, premade MCAT anki decks (find on mcat reddit), premade notes (same source), free full lengths from the various prep companies from signing up (altius, blueprint, tpr, kaplan, etc), and there's probably some youtube videos that list additional free resources.

Re: free tutors - besides khan academy I would look for youtube videos that reteach content to you. The Organic Chemistry Tutor and Prof Dave Explains (can't remember the exact name), Leah4sci, AKLectures and various others will cover you for the content review with more depth.

Finally, make sure if you haven't already to sign up for the fee assitance program if you qualify to get the AAMC materials at reduced price. Some companies/tutoring services may reduce cost if you have that aswell.

If you're scoring at 481, that indicates you don't know the content. Before worrying about test-taking strategies, you need to go through all the material and really understand it. Print out the AAMC MCAT content outline and check things off as you review to be sure you are covering everything you need.

Finally, don't sit in Jan (in my opinion). It's too late and from your score it seems you just need to relearn content. I would focus on that first and apply next cycle. If you sit for Apr/may you have 5-6 months to prepare. 3 months to redo content/start anki/work through the khan academy course and slowly integrate practice exams and materials from there.

Without some sort of extenuating circumstances, likely no MD, and probably no DO school will take a chance on accepting you knowing all the standardized tests you will need to take moving forward.

You need more time to prepare. Based on AAMC data, individuals with that MCAT score have a 0.5% overall chance of MD acceptance, depending on GPA. Even with higher than 3.8 GPA, the chance only increases to 1.2%.