Can I turn in secondaries without my letters being complete?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

superseif

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I had a quick question for you all... Since my letters are not yet complete, I was wondering if I can still turn in secondaries and maybe forward my letters a little later? Is that ok? or is there a problem with doing that?

Members don't see this ad.

Not a problem. Your file will be complete when LORs come in.

I submitted my secondaries and notified my LOR writers what address to send the recommendation to. I signed a waiver so I don't handle my letters directly, and my writers wanted to send out each recommendation themselves.

You should be fine. Just indicate what letters the school should expect (if they ask for it in the secondaries, I think most do), and send the letters once they're ready. I'm using Interfolio (online confidential service), so I'll send out letters once they're all there.

Some of the schools will probably notify you that they haven't received LORs from you yet, and will then notify you once they receive everything ($, LOR, secondary), so you know the app is complete.