Can I use WikiEM for CME?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Angry Birds

Angry Troll
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When I had PEPID, I remember they had a way to convert your past searches into CME credit. Any way to do this for WikiEM?

Members don't see this ad.

UpToDate.
This is what I do. It's pricey but I can't remember the last time I bothered with an online or conference CME course. Plus, I use UptoDate all the time. It's about the only thing clinical that I read anymore. Anytime the state or hospital wants some CME, just print it out and you're done.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I get mine just browsing Doximity.

Reactions: 1 users
How often do you have to provide evidence about CME?

I'm aware that at anytime the hospital, state, or other authority can ask. But I've yet to been asked for any.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't have Uptodate nor do I really use it that often. My question is about WikiEM.
Anyone know?

Can I just claim WikiEM since I actually do use it regularly?

This is what I do. It's pricey but I can't remember the last time I bothered with an online or conference CME course. Plus, I use UptoDate all the time. It's about the only thing clinical that I read anymore. Anytime the state or hospital wants some CME, just print it out and you're done.

HCA pays for it.
I've already racked up enough for my next license renewal.

I don't have Uptodate nor do I really use it that often. My question is about WikiEM.
Anyone know?

Can I just claim WikiEM since I actually do use it regularly?
You can claim AMA category 2 credits on it.
I think in most states, half your reqs can be documented this way.

I get mine just browsing Doximity.
Doximity is awesome. Comes with a CME tracker where you can also upload Cme certificates from modules completed elsewhere. Can then print out a Cme report for Credentialing, super handy.

I'm aware that at anytime the hospital, state, or other authority can ask. But I've yet to been asked for any.
I got asked to prove I had enough CME the first time I needed to renew my license. Luckily, I was a resident at the time so I more than met the CME requirement

I got asked to prove I had enough CME the first time I needed to renew my license. Luckily, I was a resident at the time so I more than met the CME requirement

Florida has you submit 38 CME credits for every renewal (2 years).
I think 8 of those 38 need to be their specific topics of choice (medical errors, DV, human trafficking, HIV/AIDS)

Members don't see this ad :)

Well in one state where I was licensed, there were about 3,000 licensed physicians, and every year about 10 receive board discipline for not being able to verify their CME during an audit.

I think they kept their exact audit rate and criteria secret, but either they audit a fair number, or a fair number of those audited are caught.

• Wow
Well in one state where I was licensed, there were about 3,000 licensed physicians, and every year about 10 receive board discipline for not being able to verify their CME during an audit.

I think they kept their exact audit rate and criteria secret, but either they audit a fair number, or a fair number of those audited are caught.

Damn.
FL makes you submit your certificates to even qualify to renew your license.

What does a board discipline for this practically mean?
Will it follow you around everywhere sort of thing?

I gotta be honest. I always say I am gonna find a shortcut for CME but then I just end up doing it haha. I saw a thread from my own self before about the same topic. lol

I think I'll just use the opportunity to do some Hippo EM, EMRAP, or something like that

Last edited:
You have to report that you were disciplined by a med board. It makes your life more difficult. Like a DWI/DUI/whatever you call it follows someone in the general public around, so does this.

I've never handed in one thing. Surprising.
Commiefornia doesn't ask for CME proof before renewal?

Damn, it would be a great way for them to leech more money from you.

In FL, they even make you use a software called "CE Broker" with plenty of paid options to do things that otherwise any non reprobate can do for themselves.

A random example

Where things can turn into a bigger mess is when you are licensed in a number of states and board discipline in one state reflexively results in discipline in the other states.

• Wow
You have successfully scared me straight
My week is complete then.

For everyone else I can't emphasize enough how the license renewal form can screw you up. Read very carefully.

I had a coworker years ago who got into trouble for doing his one hour of "end of life" care three hours too early. There was another case I didn't know personally where someone got into trouble since his CME in "hospice care" didn't meet the medical board's definition of "end of life care."

There are also a lot of people who get into trouble when it comes to reporting malpractice cases/settlements/judgements. It can get tricky determining the exact timeframe a settlement has to be reported and a nuisance settlement may slip by entirely unnoticed.

As I mentioned this is also important if you are licensed in a number of states, since if you get dinged in one state, that will result in discipline in all the others. A ton of paperwork if nothing else.

Pay attention to those boxes you are checking and remember that those words are taken literally.

Reactions: 1 users
Emrap you get 4.5 come from the quizzes they have opioids which states require and it’s easy to track

I do t like doximity since you have to manually add and forward certificates no thanks