Can IM Cardiologists perform PTCAs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BlondeCookie

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi. I was just wondering if it is legal for IM Cardiologists to perform PCTAs (Percutaneous Transluminal Coronary Angioplasties)? Or do the Cardiovascular Surgeons do this?
 
"Legal'? A medical license legally allows you to do whatever you want, both in medicine and surgery. So a licensed FM doc can legally do a CAGB, and a CT surgeon could open a primary care clinic and manage diabetes and hypertension all day long.

But yes, cardiologists to PTCA all the time. I know in theory CT surgeons can do them as well, but I've only seen cardiologists do angiograms and coronary angioplasty. And to be a cardiologist you need to go through IM first, so you really don't have to specify "IM Cardiologist."