Can IM docs do gynecology procedures?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nutoamerica

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,
I am just wondering, can IM docs do Gyn procedures, like inplanting IUDs , copolscopy , biopsies of cervical tissues and stuff...

I mean, if I want IM but also want to do many other things in my future clinic, is it possible?

Members don't see this ad.

You will have to push in your electives to get trained in these procedures but I can't see why not.

Agreed. There's no reason you can't get the training to do these procedures other than there may not be any faculty in a particular IM program who is certified in them and can train you to do them. You could certainly do a women's health elective or two and rotate w/ Ob/Gyn or FP to get the training. There are some programs out there (don't ask me which ones specifically) that have women's health tracks that might offer more training.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ive wondered about this myself. If an IM doc is in primary care, can they do the annual pap screening?

Ive wondered about this myself. If an IM doc is in primary care, can they do the annual pap screening?

That's actually expected of you in primary care and you will need to do a certain # of them in IM residency training to graduate. But the OP was asking about more specialized procedures that most IM programs do not teach b/c it's not a requirement.

I think VCU, Pittsburg, Brown, and UAB have internal medicine with women's health track. There are probably a few more. Like the other poster said, if you take the appropriate electives and demonstrate competency, it should be fine.

Hey,
I am just wondering, can IM docs do Gyn procedures, like inplanting IUDs , copolscopy , biopsies of cervical tissues and stuff...

I mean, if I want IM but also want to do many other things in my future clinic, is it possible?

i believe so. i used to work as an MA for a PCP in a private practice setting. she received extra training and also offered pelvic/pap screening on top of generalist services, but any abnormal tests (ASCUS, LSIL, HSIL, etc.) were automatically deferred to the patient's Ob/Gyn doc.

Yes. As stated above, if you can arrange your elective time during residency, you can get pretty familiar with colpos, IUDs, etc. There are some programs that actually have Women's Health Fellowships that last 1 yr. Paps are a standard/required part of residency and done by most IM docs in outpatient practice.

Why doesn't the OP just go into FP? During my IM residency we had to do a week of "women's health." There was no specific number of Paps we had to complete. As a staff I choose not to do any paps, eventhough I know how. They are referred to my FP, Ob or FNP collegues. This is the specific reason why I did IM.

---------------- Listening to: Handsome Boy Modeling School - The Truth via FoxyTunes

Why doesn't the OP just go into FP? During my IM residency we had to do a week of "women's health." There was no specific number of Paps we had to complete. As a staff I choose not to do any paps, eventhough I know how. They are referred to my FP, Ob or FNP collegues. This is the specific reason why I did IM.

---------------- Listening to: Handsome Boy Modeling School - The Truth via FoxyTunes

Well, I figure, if Im going into primary care IM (I know, I know) , and Ive got patients that come in once a year for an annual checkup, and I go through full physical and bloodwork... which shows nothing.... rather than send the patient to an OB/Gyn for a Pap which is also going to come up with nothing, and then have to chase down their path report. being the industrious PCP that I am..... why not just do the Pap myself?

OP, you are talking about two different things.
1) can I do routine gyn exams/pap smears as an internist?
Yes, and you will be required to do so as a medicine resident. We had to do all the ones for the women in our resident clinics. We had to document that we did a certain number during residency (not a high number, but it had to be documented). You will do breast exams also.
2) Can I do colposcopy and other procedures often done by OB/Gyn and fp docs? In my particular residency, it wouldn't really have been possible to learn this, I don't think. We only had maybe 2 months of electives in the entire residency, and I don't know that good ob/gyn clinic rotations, that would have taught us these skills, could have been set up during those...I doubt it. If your goal is primary care that includes gyn, you need to pick your IM residency carefully, because a lot of the ones that emphasize specialization (i.e. not primary care oriented), and really any one that doesn't include a women's health track, are unlikely to teach you what it sounds like you desire to learn.

After doing 3 years of IM residency, it is possible to pursue a women's health fellowship of 1-2 years. There are several (though not a ton) around the country that I have seen ads for. It shouldn't be hard to get in if that is what you desire.

I kind of agree with the above comment about why doesn't the OP just due fp. If you really want to do these types of procedures, and fp residency will expose you to a lot more women's health than the vast majority of IM programs. Alternatively, seek out the IM programs that do have a women's health track, and/or do one of the fellowships I mentioned above.

Most internists won't want to do these procedures. However, you will receive the training to do paps. You can learn how to do colposcopy by attending seminars and other educational sessions. Take a look at the ASCCP http://www.asccp.org if you really want to do colpos.