Can incomplete application grant you interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pocketbook

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so forgive me if I do anything wrong. I am IMG, and currently doing a visiting rotaiton in a hospital in US. I want to apply to 2009 residency IM and have submitted my applicaiton already; however, many of my applications are still missing: eg. 1 LOR, dean's letter, and transcript. They have been sent but they are in the processing of mailing/scanning/uploading. I have passed Step 1 and 2Ck, waiting for CS results

Most IM pgms deadline is Nov 30th, and I am afraid that not all my stuff would be ready by that time. I have applied to 30 schools already. Do you guys think that I should:
1) wait
2) call the coordinator of each pgm and ask them to look at my application and ask them to wait for my other stuff which should come in by next week or so..
3) any other suggestions?

Another question is if your applicaiton is incomplete, would they even consider you for an interview? (so I am missing 1 LOR, Dean's letter and transcript).

Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

My opinion is it is unlikely they will review your application if you don't have it completed by the deadline. That is why they have the deadline...they want things by that date. Also you are an IMG which will make getting interviews harder anyway.

The only exception I can think of to this rule is if you know someone at a particular residency. For example, if you are currently doing a rotation at a certain hospital, you could go over to the medicine department, talk to the program director or his secretary, and just ask them if they will review your application even if it's not complete for a few more days. Or if you know one of the faculty at a particular medicine program, you could ask him/her to put a good word in for you. This would probably work better if they you have high USMLE scores or they know you well, or know your medical school well.

I basically think you are going to have to end up scrambling or applying again next year, or just apply to some programs with later deadlines, if there are any like that.

I agree wih the dragonfly.

Programs will offer interviews with incomplete applications (ie, see people getting interviews in September without all letters in, etc.). HOWEVER, these are for applications in far before the deadline.

I'd venture it would be exceedingly rare to get an interview after the deadline especially with so much important stuff missing from your application.

No, I mean I got a fellowship interview, even after missing the deadline...but that was for fellowship, not residency. Also, it was the place I had done medical school and I knew a couple of the faculty. So it is unusual, but not impossible, to get an interview even if you miss the deadline. I wouldn't expect it though.

No, I mean I got a fellowship interview, even after missing the deadline...but that was for fellowship, not residency. Also, it was the place I had done medical school and I knew a couple of the faculty. So it is unusual, but not impossible, to get an interview even if you miss the deadline. I wouldn't expect it though.

I figured that was what you meant and it is important to note that for fellowships, rules are sometimes bent a little more. I agree that for the OP, applying to residency, it would be unusual to get an interview with an incomplete application especially if he/she has not contacted them and they are willing/interested enough to wait for the data.

Yes, you are right about that. Residency seems more rigid in terms of how they follow the stated application procedures, and also rigidity in applying certain standards (i.e. step score cutoffs, etc.).