Can MD write "for office use" rx for CII?

Started by Farmrx
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Farmrx

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I had a California pharmacy law question for everyone. Is a doctor allowed to write a "For office use" Rx for a CII? I was leaning towards 'no' but couldn't find where in CA BOP Lawbook explicitly states that this is not acceptable. It seems like a big liability because as a pharmacist we would have no idea who the patient is, how it is being given and what sort of day supply to use. I did not fill Rx but pharmacy manager says alright as long as on controlled Rx prescription pad...
 
You are no more liable for a mistake that they make than your wholesaler is for a mistake that you make.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It is not being dispensed to the ultimate end user. Also if you work for a chain this practice will be explicitly forbidden.
 
It is not permitted. You can fill an rx for a particular end user or you can sell via a 222 form. For office use is not permitted.
 
I had a California pharmacy law question for everyone. Is a doctor allowed to write a "For office use" Rx for a CII? I was leaning towards 'no' but couldn't find where in CA BOP Lawbook explicitly states that this is not acceptable. It seems like a big liability because as a pharmacist we would have no idea who the patient is, how it is being given and what sort of day supply to use. I did not fill Rx but pharmacy manager says alright as long as on controlled Rx prescription pad...

See section XIII of the DEA Pharmacist's Manual.
http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/pubs/manuals/pharm2/pharm_content.htm#13

You are no more liable for a mistake that they make than your wholesaler is for a mistake that you make.
You can, and probably would, be liable for filling this script. Read up on corresponding responsibility, which is also in the DEA Pharmacist's Manual.