Can MDs teach?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OtisO

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! I am studying for the MCAT now. I have been wanting to become a plastic (cosmetic) surgeon my whole life. It has been a dream and driving force for going to medical school for a long time. I am just thinking about a back up plan (considering the competitiveness of a plastic residency)/plan coinciding with a plastics career. Could I, if I had a work schedule that permitted, teach an undergraduate class at some kind of school/university/CC with just an MD? I really love teaching but do not want to go for a MD/PhD and teach my whole life, I want to work with patients but would love to dabble in teaching prospective science/pre-med students. Big hypothetical here, I am just curious. Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Don't know enough about the topic to give a comprehensive answer on teaching qualifications, but for reference, a few professors at my university are DPMs, JDs, MDs, DOs. Don't need the PhD title to teach.

Why just undergraduate? There are MDs/DOs that teach medical school classes.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why just undergraduate? There are MDs/DOs that teach medical school classes.
Haha, I don't know... I guess because I am an undergraduate and enjoy certain courses like Gen Chem, Biochem and Organic Chem, I would want to teach them. If in medical school I find enjoyable classes (which I'm sure I would), I could lean towards that. That is cool though, I was just thinking about this as a side gig but I don't know just curious. Gotta kill this MCAT once and for all first ;)

Don't know enough about the topic to give a comprehensive answer on teaching qualifications, but for reference, a few professors at my university are DPMs, JDs, MDs, DOs. Don't need the PhD title to teach.
Oooh! You are right. I had an 84 y/o JD teach some course about the US Constitution at my Honors college. I forgot about him, I guess some Universities do not strictly limit it to PhD. Cool

Reactions: 1 user
At some schools to teach you need a terminal degree. An MD is considered a terminal degree. That being said, with an MD, it might be difficult to convince a STEM department that they should let you teach chemistry and physics at a university level when there are adjuncts and instructors with doctorates in the subject area. It would be much easier to find a teaching gig that is more closely related to you degree. At the CC level, this may be different depending on your area.

Hi! I am studying for the MCAT now. I have been wanting to become a plastic (cosmetic) surgeon my whole life. It has been a dream and driving force for going to medical school for a long time. I am just thinking about a back up plan (considering the competitiveness of a plastic residency)/plan coinciding with a plastics career. Could I, if I had a work schedule that permitted, teach an undergraduate class at some kind of school/university/CC with just an MD? I really love teaching but do not want to go for a MD/PhD and teach my whole life, I want to work with patients but would love to dabble in teaching prospective science/pre-med students. Big hypothetical here, I am just curious. Thank you.
One does not simply walk into a college and ask to teach.

• Haha
At my university, there are a few faculty members with MDs. Most seemed to be housed in public health/health sciences departments.

Reactions: 2 users
One does not simply walk into a college and ask to teach.

Thank you for your comment, it really answered my question!
At my university, there are a few faculty members with MDs. Most seemed to be housed in public health/health sciences departments.

Cool, I don't know, we'll see.. Not a big deal, but I wanted to say Congratulations on your App Cycle results! GREAT GPA and MCAT, hope you got into your school of choice and good luck on your journey, that's so cool. The rainbow colors are a fun touch too! ;)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Thank you for your comment, it really answered my question!

Cool, I don't know, we'll see.. Not a big deal, but I wanted to say Congratulations on your App Cycle results! GREAT GPA and MCAT, hope you got into your school of choice and good luck on your journey, that's so cool. The rainbow colors are a fun touch too! ;)

dude your sarcasm @Goro tho. :rofl:

• Haha
  • Wow
At my school, there were MDs that taught public health, cultural health, and health-related biology courses. None taught gen chem, organic chem, intro bio, or even biochem.

I have similar desires! Good luck

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
As a back-up plan, teaching is a possibility, particularly at the HS, or community college, level as an "adjunct". High school might pay better than being an adjuct at a community college.

Physicians also teach medical students and post-graduate trainees and one another (continuing medical education). Curriculum development, effective teaching techniques and assessment of how well students have learned are important in some medical schools as an area of scholarship (in other words, the "research" that the faculty do in addition to patient care and teaching). Physicians can teach but the question becomes do they teach well and how can we help them do so more effectively.

Reactions: 6 users
There are 2 MDs I know of who taught undergrad classes at my (top 5) university for fun. One of them, an academic MD who is a dance major alum from my school, taught this cool anatomy and physiology class that also incorporated movement exercises (pretty helpful for remembering specific muscle functions and origins/insertions!). Another is a radiologist who is teaching a 1-credit class covering anatomy through all the major imaging techniques, along with some pathology (unfortunately didn't get to take this). I'm also interested in doing this!

To teach undergraduate students, depending on the university or college, one would need to have at least a Master's degree in the subject matter. The only MDs that I know that taught had either a Masters degree or Phd in the subject matter. For the community colleges in my area, those with MDs (very rare) that were teaching have had at least a Masters in the subject area.

Also, it isn't a good idea to focus on a particular specialty until you have entered the clinical phase of your training. I would definitely not go to a medical school interview and mention that you were interested in a particular specialty. They want flexibility in students. Also, plastics is ULTRA competitive.

Last edited:
Haha, I don't know... I guess because I am an undergraduate and enjoy certain courses like Gen Chem, Biochem and Organic Chem, I would want to teach them.

I think others have alluded to this, but as an MD you are not an expert in subjects like Gen Chem, Biochem, or organic chem. Teaching those would generally be left to people who actually studied those subjects and got degrees (Masters or PhD) in them. As an MD there is a load of teaching to be done, but in subjects more closely related to medicine.

Reactions: 4 users
If you dont get into plastics, you will wind up with residency in another specialty. It would be almost financially impossible to gain all that debt in medical school and not get a license and specialty to practice. As I tell all applicants, understand you can wind up a family practice doc in some suburb someplace.

I am aware of this... Plastics is a BIG BIG BIG want my whole life, I plan to work extremely hard for it and do everything to improve my chances. I like the whole field of medicine in general, I would be happy in just working with patients' needs in any capacity.

whether u end up in plastics or another specialty. you can always teach med students/residents on clinical rotations which is essentially integrated into your work. to me , this feels much more rewarding than lectures because its small group and more personal. the people you teach also really care about their education.

if ur more academic thats a different story. but what specialty people want to do tend to change very easily once they start to actually rotate. so don't take urself too seriously about ur dreams yet... for the lack of a better phrase :p

I mean, there is nothing stopping an MD from teaching undergrad. Don't forget how well qualified that Walter White was to teach HS Chem.

On a serious note, academic medicine totally exists and allows you to be both clinical and educational. Often med school faculty are the same ones teaching the post-bac programs.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

As a back-up plan, teaching is a possibility, particularly at the HS, or community college, level as an "adjunct". High school might pay better than being an adjuct at a community college.

Physicians also teach medical students and post-graduate trainees and one another (continuing medical education). Curriculum development, effective teaching techniques and assessment of how well students have learned are important in some medical schools as an area of scholarship (in other words, the "research" that the faculty do in addition to patient care and teaching). Physicians can teach but the question becomes do they teach well and how can we help them do so more effectively.
My neighbor, an MD with residency in PM&R, teaches High School Biology.

Yes, you would be qualified to teach at just about any level (high school, undergraduate, medical school) in an appropriate field with a MD. I'm not sure why you would go through all of the training and the costs involved just to become a high school teacher, but there's no reason that you couldn't. Obviously you would need to teach something about which you have some particular expertise, but beyond that I don't think you would have any difficulty finding such a position.

My undergraduate physiology course was taught by a full-time practicing ENT who taught only this course at my university because he enjoyed teaching.

The cost benefit analysis of an MD wasting their time teaching undergrad courses hurts my head. While you think it's cool now the debt to income ratio you'll likely face after all that training will easily tell you this is a stupid idea. In the off chance you're one of those lucky people coming out without any debt you may not find a group practice that will allow you to do this as you're hired to PRACTICE MEDICINE for the group and likely will have contract stipulations about side practices. The only reasonable way you do this is you become a professor at a medical school and have time to teach medical students or wait until you're 80 and can just teach for free.

If you dont get into plastics, you will wind up with residency in another specialty. It would be almost financially impossible to gain all that debt in medical school and not get a license and specialty to practice. As I tell all applicants, understand you can wind up a family practice doc in some suburb someplace.

I was wondering when someone was going to say this.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

*In before the obligatory SDN grumpy old timer saying “don’t think about this until you’ve been accepted” *

The cost benefit analysis of an MD wasting their time teaching undergrad courses hurts my head. While you think it's cool now the debt to income ratio you'll likely face after all that training will easily tell you this is a stupid idea. In the off chance you're one of those lucky people coming out without any debt you may not find a group practice that will allow you to do this as you're hired to PRACTICE MEDICINE for the group and likely will have contract stipulations about side practices. The only reasonable way you do this is you become a professor at a medical school and have time to teach medical students or wait until you're 80 and can just teach for free.

I wrote a real assy response, but I deleted it and I will just say that my question should not have misled you, I asked if I could teach with the MD degree, not the cost benefit analysis of teaching and practicing, that is my problem. However, the thoughtfulness you put in your comment is molto apprezzato!

Yes, you would be qualified to teach at just about any level (high school, undergraduate, medical school) in an appropriate field with a MD. I'm not sure why you would go through all of the training and the costs involved just to become a high school teacher, but there's no reason that you couldn't. Obviously you would need to teach something about which you have some particular expertise, but beyond that I don't think you would have any difficulty finding such a position.

My undergraduate physiology course was taught by a full-time practicing ENT who taught only this course at my university because he enjoyed teaching.

Thank you, you answered my question to perfection. Not really high school, I just was wondering if I would be considered qualified to some school. I will have to see what I really want in life down the road, just something I always pondered.

I wrote a real assy response, but I deleted it and I will just say that my question should not have misled you, I asked if I could teach with the MD degree, not the cost benefit analysis of teaching and practicing, that is my problem. However, the thoughtfulness you put in your comment is molto apprezzato!

And that's the difference right there. What you can see right now is the question you're asking, what I'm telling you is the likely answer and thought process you'll need to consider when you actually are in a position to act on your question. An answer based on experience and knowing real life challenges. I could easily answer yes or no but that's not educating you in what the future holds. People can answer with sass if they want but that'll only show how short sighted and thoughtless they actually are in seeking an answer that validates their own personal biases instead of trying to understand why behind the answer. Thankfully it seems you're not like that.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

giphy.gif

She never practiced. After residency, became a stay at home Mom. Husband is a pediatrician. Raised 3 kids, and began teaching. I respect her choice to drop medicine to be a Mom, I'm sure it wasnt easy. It's a shame she didnt recognize this sooner. Would have been much cheaper and another deserving student could have had her seat.

Adjuncts make the least amount of money--sometimes as low as $250 per course. Also, factor in commuting costs before committing.

It might be easier to get a job in white house than it is to teach... At university level, it involves a lot of other factors including knowing people.. but also mainly how can you bring in research dollars to the university.. not just teaching.

I’ve had two anatomy & physiology professors at CC that were MDs (A&P 1/2). One was a retired ER doc who just liked teaching, the other was a foreign MD teaching in the states until he figured out the red tape to practice here.

They were both very good, but difficult teachers.