Can med schools see how many schools you applied to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

plsfoldthx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just curious if they can and if this affects their decision

Members don't see this ad.

No.

After a certain date (May 15th?), they can see what schools you are accepted to, however.

Not unless you tell them (and some interviewers will ask).

After March 15 (I think), schools that have accepted you can see where else you have been accepted. After May 15 (I think) schools can see where else you've applied and your status there.

Members don't see this ad :)
The AMCAS Instructions Book is your friend, guys ;):

http://www.aamc.org/students/amcas/2011amcasinstructions.pdf

Page 12:

The AAMC shares acceptance information across schools in order to assist medical schools adhere to AAMC recommendations. These data are shared as follows:

a) Beginning in February of each year, a medical school that has accepted an applicant can view the other school or schools that have accepted the applicant, if applicable.
b) Beginning in April of each year, a medical school can view the other school or schools that have accepted the applicant, even if that applicant has not yet been accepted by the medical school.
Basically, the February date is for schools you've been accepted at to start deciding on how much financial aid/scholarships they want to give you to "bid" on you and try to entice you to matriculate at their school (these are announced in mid-April).

The April date is for schools that you're on the waitlist at to decide whether or not you're likely to matriculate to them if they take you off their list based on your other acceptances (or lack thereof).

Good info! I can't find in the booklet, however, whether medical schools see your entire list of schools BEFORE acceptances. Does anyone know whether one medical school will see your entire list? And does this affect their admissions decision?

Good info! I can't find in the booklet, however, whether medical schools see your entire list of schools BEFORE acceptances. Does anyone know whether one medical school will see your entire list? And does this affect their admissions decision?
no and no

Big brother sees all.

I checked with AMCAS via email, and you're right, Elijah05, it's secret until they release acceptances in February. Good to know!