Can my friend get into Washington State University Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cerebellumcat

Reaction score
Made a friend recently, who moved from California to Washington July 2019. She came here with her husband because she wanted to gain residency here in WA to apply to either UW or WSU med schools, because they are (according to her) "easier" than any of the schools in California. She took one class as a non-matric at UW that summer, then enrolled in an MCAT class by Princeton Review, and now works as an MA and is in the process of getting ready to apply to medical school.
Our mutual friend pointed out that WSU medical school has very strict requirements for admission in terms of who is considered a WA state resident: Admission Requirements | Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine | Washington State University

So I'm wondering if her status allows her for a secondary at WSU, due to the nature of her resident status?
I'm honestly curious, and a little upset that she would just move up here because she thought it would be easier to get into medical school, and she doesn't plan on staying after that. WSU is made for long time WA state residents who have ties with our community and want to stay to give back. Just curious, please no hate!

Members don't see this ad.

Made a friend recently, who moved from California to Washington July 2019. She came here with her husband because she wanted to gain residency here in WA to apply to either UW or WSU med schools, because they are (according to her) "easier" than any of the schools in California. She took one class as a non-matric at UW that summer, then enrolled in an MCAT class by Princeton Review, and now works as an MA and is in the process of getting ready to apply to medical school.
Our mutual friend pointed out that WSU medical school has very strict requirements for admission in terms of who is considered a WA state resident: Admission Requirements | Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine | Washington State University

So I'm wondering if her status allows her for a secondary at WSU, due to the nature of her resident status?
I'm honestly curious, and a little upset that she would just move up here because she thought it would be easier to get into medical school, and she doesn't plan on staying after that. WSU is made for long time WA state residents who have ties with our community and want to stay to give back. Just curious, please no hate!

Seems to me your friend may meet this requirement:

Applicants who are financially independent and have maintained a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than educational for at least one year by and immediately leading into January 1 of the enrollment year.

Seems to me your friend may meet this requirement:

Applicants who are financially independent and have maintained a bona fide domicile in the state of Washington primarily for purposes other than educational for at least one year by and immediately leading into January 1 of the enrollment year.
Thats what I figured, but I am also wondering if it's easy to prove she was here for something other than education? I mean, she was born in California, raised, went to undergrad there, worked there for a few years after ungrad, got married there and NOW comes up to WA state.

Members don't see this ad :)
From their website.

Ties to Washington
Regardless of the identified state of residency on AMCAS, if you demonstrate that you are “from Washington” by meeting at least 3 of these 4 ties to Washington, you meet this requirement:

1. Born in Washington
  2. Childhood address in Washington as indicated on AMCAS
  3. Graduated from a Washington high school
  4. Parent/guardian currently lives in Washington
Yes, but it also says if these aren't met, they are eligible if they meet the "resident student" of Washington. Which is expanded on their website: Admission Requirements | Elson S. Floyd College of Medicine | Washington State University

Hate to break it to you and your friend, but I highly doubt moving will make a difference. Even if your friend makes the cut and gets an interview, the adcoms will know that your friend basically has zero ties to the state. Both UW and WSU have abysmal OOR acceptance rates for a reason. I honestly can’t imagine a more inhospitable state to try and establish residency in.. but good luck!

She needs to determine if she's established a bona fide domicile in the state for #1 to be applicable, she doesn't have any ties to Washington from what you've said:
1. Students must prove that they have not come to Washington State primarily for educational purposes. Current guidelines require students who are enrolled for 7 credits or more a quarter must be employed at least 30 hours per week at a non-student job to overcome presumption of educational purposes.
2. Live in the state for at least 12 consecutive months as legal residents.
3. Establish legal ties:
- Employment (if taking more than 6 credits a quarter during the first year of being present in Washington State).
- Driver’s license/state ID within 30 days of arrival. Students who do not possess a drivers license must obtain a Washington State Identification Card.
- Vehicle registration within 30 days of arrival.
- Voter registration within 30 days of arrival.
- Establish a bank account in Washington .
4. Be financially independent for the current and prior calendar years.

I've read about the WWAMI school seats being overwhelmingly kinder to region residents and those with ties (understandable). It doesn't look like she has much skin in the game though, is she integrated in WA past just having a job?

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 user
She may have a chance, at least at WSU. UW might have different requirements. From the WSU site:

"What do I need to submit to verify my residency?
Depending on what definition of “resident student” you meet will impact the forms required to submit. These will be emailed to you once we receive your AMCAS application and have verified you have met the other secondary requirements. Please do not send us documents until we request them. Some common examples of documentation requested can include the following:

• A copy of your state and federal IRS tax return from the most recent tax year
  • A copy of the state and federal IRS tax return of your parent(s) for the most recent tax year
  • Housing documentation (e.g. home purchasing agreement, lease agreements, rent receipts, etc.)
  • Pay stub
  • State of Washington voter’s registration
  • State of Washington driver’s license or identification card
  • State of Washington vehicle registration
    • Please note: all documentation requested will be for the entire 12-month period leading to January 1 of the enrollment year to the College of Medicine."
As long as she has the above documents, good chance she'll be considered in-state. The more documents she has, the stronger her case. Her husband moving with her also strengthens her case. Hopefully she applied for all of those things on or before January 1, 2020. If her drivers license was issued January 2, 2020 or after, then she can't use that. Same with vehicle and voters registration.

Even if she clears all these hurdles, she still has to compete with plenty of strong WA applicants for just 2 schools' worth of seats. Last I checked, the GPA and MCAT at UW and WSU are still very competitive. Plus she gave up two years' worth of attending salary.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Your friend will likely qualify as a WA resident and receive secondaries,but will have a hard time getting accepted to these schools. Both have a strong mission to serve the local area (WA for WSU, WWAMI for UW). Your friend likely doesn’t fit this mission of these schools because 1 year in WA doesn’t really demonstrate commitment to the local community there. I wish your friend the best of luck, but I hope she has a plan B.

Reactions: 1 users
cerebellum said:

Someone who is me thinks that you will get a secondary if the rest of your app is good. What does the rest of your app look like?