can old grades be overlooked?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gum83

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if someone already posted something similar, but I was wondering:

I took most of the pre-reqs, minus biochem 5-6 years ago. Should I re-take all of them, that way I'll be better prepared when I take the DAT? OR should I just re-take the ones I got a C in and just sign up for a DAT course?

Any suggestions? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have a C and above I wouldn't recommend retaking it. If you're talking about the Kaplan course, I wouldn't recommend that either. Instead of taking the time to retake classes, get a bunch of good study materials (e.g. Destroyer/Crack DAT/Kaplan book) and use that time to study hard-core. They say it takes a couple years for the information you learn to settle in your brain so who knows, maybe you'll remember more than you know. :)

Dental schools practice a "no forgiveness" policy when it comes to grades. No grade can be forgiven because all grades, from every school you attended, are averaged in. No exceptions as far as I know.

Members don't see this ad :)
Texas schools have a forgiveness policy, but your grades have to be 10 yrs old and you have to be a resident of TX.

The grades will still count in your GPA. If by overlook you mean will dental schools not care about your old prereq grades b/c they're from so long ago, I think it depends. Was it all C's or just a few? What coursework have you accomplished since then, and how did you do in that?
If you're only concerned about the time span since you took the classes, that will depend on individual school policy. Some (but not that many I believe) have limits on this, but my prereqs were all over 5 years old and I didn't have a problem with it. PM me if your're interested in which schools interviewed/accepted me with old prereqs.

I think dental school will want you to spill all the beans even if it is a forgiven grade. How does Texas make this any different? :confused:

I think dental school will want you to spill all the beans even if it is a forgiven grade. How does Texas make this any different? :confused:

Well, with academic fresh start you have to report old grades but they aren't used in calculating your gpa. So schools can see what you've done but can't technically use it against you. This is only true for TX however.

Well, with academic fresh start you have to report old grades but they aren't used in calculating your gpa. So schools can see what you've done but can't technically use it against you. This is only true for TX however.

Just to add: I don't think it's possible to select only the grades you want to discard as well. If you opt to do a fresh start, you start completely anew.

Maybe I should move back to Texas...heh. I guess I'll just re-take Ochem and Physics bc I got C's in them. It'll be another way to boost up my gpa by a little. Thanks everyone and good luck to you all!