Can one get "rejected" without DAT?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dental Mom

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My applications is ready to e-submit, all transcripts were received, 1 LOR is in, BUT my GPA isn't the highest and I worry that I could get rejected by schools without them even seeing my DAT score yet. I'm taking it end of next month. I have no choice but to take it then. Should I keep holding my application? Out of all the schools that I'm applying only 2 will look at my application w/out DAT. What should I do? Everything in my application is "shiny" except for my GPA!:scared:

I'm already seeing "rejection" letters in July? :(

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I think you should be fine. Most schools won't reject you if you don't have your DAT done yet, they will just keep it on the bottom of the stack until they see some scores.....But who really knows what adcoms are thinking?

Exactly!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well it is a possibility to be rejected before they see your dat scores. It could go either way.If you app is ready to submit, I think you should go ahead and submit it. Sometimes schools lose stuff or they send you letters that they didn't receive something. Make sure everything is in so they are just waiting for your dat scores. Some schools will even give you the option to fax in your scores and then later send them the official results. But nothing can occur if you haven't sent in your app. at all. Good luck on your exam!
-ld

My applications is ready to e-submit, all transcripts were received, 1 LOR is in, BUT my GPA isn't the highest and I worry that I could get rejected by schools without them even seeing my DAT score yet. I'm taking it end of next month. I have no choice but to take it then. Should I keep holding my application? Out of all the schools that I'm applying only 2 will look at my application w/out DAT. What should I do? Everything in my application is "shiny" except for my GPA!:scared:

I'm already seeing "rejection" letters in July? :(
Submit your application. Schools that reject you without DAT scores have seen other stuff in your application that doesn't make you an ideal applicant for their school. So, they would have rejected you even if you had the DAT scores.
Don't develop a phobia about rejection letters. They're simply part of this whole process. Not every school you apply to accepts you. It doesn't mean your dumb or anything, it simply means you don't suite that particular school for whatever reason.

All applicants are about the same...just slightly different numbers. Everyone does shadowing and some do research. That's why I don't think anyone would consider you a non-ideal applicant.
I don't think schools would reject you without your DAT scores. I am sure they will give you the benefit of the doubt on your DAT scores, however, if you are below the gpa requirements then that's something else.

ok this is somewhat scary - I'm taking the DAT next month but have submitted everything else. Is this common among dental schools - rejecting before DAT Scores are submitted!?

Last edited:
ok i really don't think they would reject you because from what i remember, schools require applications to be "complete" before they will review them to see if you get an interview. if you are missing something (app fees, scores, whatever), they will send you a letter or email saying your app is incomplete (if they aren't one of those schools who seem to take your app fee and run...then you get a rejection letter a year later lol)

so no, schools wouldn't even look at your app for consideration before making sure it is complete.

ok i really don't think they would reject you because from what i remember, schools require applications to be "complete" before they will review them to see if you get an interview. if you are missing something (app fees, scores, whatever), they will send you a letter or email saying your app is incomplete (if they aren't one of those schools who seem to take your app fee and run...then you get a rejection letter a year later lol)

so no, schools wouldn't even look at your app for consideration before making sure it is complete.
It's unlikely schools reject you before they see a complete application. But if your GPA is 2.5 and they have an average acceptance GPA of 3.6, they already know they don't want you, regardless of what your DAT maybe. So, they'll eliminate you from the screening process. There's no point to take the time to review an application that doesn't meet the minimum requirements.

Submit your application. Schools that reject you without DAT scores have seen other stuff in your application that doesn't make you an ideal applicant for their school. So, they would have rejected you even if you had the DAT scores.

The problem is, that a very high DAT score may offset an average GPA. An application with a GPA of a 3.1 may get re-evaluated if a DAT score of a 25 is accompanied with it. ;)

The problem is, that a very high DAT score may offset an average GPA. An application with a GPA of a 3.1 may get re-evaluated if a DAT score of a 25 is accompanied with it. ;)
I highly doubt a high DAT will get you an interview if you don't meet the minimum requirements for that school! Unlike what many people like to believe, DAT scores don't overshadow everything. They're simply representative of your performance on the exam. They do not, however, make up for 4 years of undergrad.

I highly doubt a high DAT will get you an interview if you don't meet the minimum requirements for that school! Unlike what many people like to believe, DAT scores don't overshadow everything. They're simply representative of your performance on the exam. They do not, however, make up for 4 years of undergrad.

Which school auto-rejects 3.1s?

I think lots of schools value DAT over gpa. Not all believe gpa > DAT.

Which school auto-rejects 3.1s?

I think lots of schools value DAT over gpa. Not all believe gpa > DAT.
Where did you come up with 3.1? I don't recall mentioning anything about schools rejection people with 3.1.
I don't think it's the question of which is more important. I think both GPA and DAT are very important, and applicants need to work hard to maintain a high GPA while earning competitive DAT scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
schools try to look at whole package. for this resaon they will wait for DAT score.

Now my problem is that 6 of 8 schools that I'm applying to don't consider applications until you take the DAT! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I'm set on those schools, and can't change them! :eek:

Now my problem is that 6 of 8 schools that I'm applying to don't consider applications until you take the DAT! AAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!! I'm set on those schools, and can't change them! :eek:

Which two schools will consider your application before you take the dat? just curious

So take the DAT?

I took my DAT end of October and still got in to schools for the cycle with a mediocre GPA. Make sure you take the exam when you FEEL ready, not because you are pressured for time

I never said that the GPA was below the minimum. Let's pretend that you just barely made the cutoff. And yes it can make up for a lack luster GPA.

Whether or not an applicant will get an interview in the scenario you describe may be debatable since a very limited number of schools have minimum requirements. UCSF (2.8), Georgia (2.8), Ill (2.5), Kentucky (3.0), Harvard (3.0), Minn (2.7), OK (2.5), Penn (3.0), PR (2.5), Me (3.0), Tenn (3.0). Interestingly enough, several of the schools above show the lower range of scores below the stated minimum. DAT scores at 20 and above will get one noted and the higher the scores the more difficult it becomes to ignore them. While a 4 year undergraduate record may be impressive it may lose some of it's luster if, at the university in question, the only way to get a C is if one forgets to put the name on a blank sheet of paper.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=641463

Whether or not an applicant will get an interview in the scenario you describe may be debatable since a very limited number of schools have minimum requirements. UCSF (2.8), Georgia (2.8), Ill (2.5), Kentucky (3.0), Harvard (3.0), Minn (2.7), OK (2.5), Penn (3.0), PR (2.5), Me (3.0), Tenn (3.0). Interestingly enough, several of the schools above show the lower range of scores below the stated minimum. DAT scores at 20 and above will get one noted and the higher the scores the more difficult it becomes to ignore them. While a 4 year undergraduate record may be impressive it may lose some of it's luster if, at the university in question, the only way to get a C is if one forgets to put the name on a blank sheet of paper.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=641463

Thank you :thumbup: