Can one postpone residency?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

layne20

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was just wondering if you can postpone residency for a year after you match? You see, my husband will graduate from dental school in 2006, while I graduate from med school in 2005. If I don't get accepted into residency at my home school but get accepted somewhere else, am I allowed to postpone the residency for a year until my husband can move with me? I am not willing to move away from him for a year. So would I only be able to apply to my school? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

you can defer applying to residency for a year while you wait for your husband....but otherwise if you go through the match, you cannot defer for a year. You go into the match knowing you will be starting July 1 the year following, no matter where you match.

given your geographic limitations, if you decide to go into the match, you should ONLY rank your home school (or nearby program) and if you match -- great...if not then nothing lost except the money involved. if you rank schools besides your geographic top choice and that's where you match...then that's where you're going.

i have had several colleagues though who went through the match and were apart for one year...it sucked, but they survived.

Thank you very much for your reply. I guess I will just be applying to my home school, as I don't think I could live without my hubby for an entire year! Thanks again!