Can Pulling Strings Hurt You?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbtk18

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Any thoughts/stories on this?

I know that for the most part, it usually doesn't help, but could it hurt you?

Members don't see this ad.

Eh. it is such a broad question that encompasses so many potential relationships and situations, that I doubt there can be any really good answers to this. Plus, much of it boils down to what you consider as pulling strings.

Members don't see this ad :)
Eh. it is such a broad question that encompasses so many potential relationships and situations, that I doubt there can be any really good answers to this. Plus, much of it boils down to what you consider as pulling strings.

Yeah I hear that---I just thought someone might have a story or example they could share

Any thoughts on this?

I'm of the opinion that there's a very fine line between hurting and helping. In some situations if you really have a good connection that you can trust, it can be positive, I think. But if you aren't careful I think it can come across as sneaky or just inappropriate. I've had several offers from family and friends to "talk to someone I know," that I've turned down due to fear of it looking bad. I don't want them to think that I think I can get in just because I know the right people.

I see it as generally underhanded, but others may not feel that way. I'd be careful with it, though.

If you know doctors with connections, I'd say that they're smart enough to know what they can do for you without negative consequences. I know a guy who got no interviews (great grades with absolutely no clinical experience), but then his surgeon dad pulled strings and got him into a top school. I think it's pathetic, but it does happen.

I don't know how often it happens for medical school admissions, but I've heard directly from several residents that knowing people/ having connections really helps out for residency. Networking seems to be important, no matter what field you go into...

This is sorta on topic I suppose. I have a friend who worked in a doctor's office for a year and basically this person got the practice up and running with the doctor.. They had a really good relationship.. When she went to ask for a letter of rec (cause he's well known in the community) he told her that she didn't even want her name associated with his because he had pissed off so many medically school people by not agreeing with them/supporting opposite cause etc. He even went so far as to say that because she had worked there it's possible to get blacklisted anywhere in the region. And She had thought this would be the perfect shadowing experience..

http://passionclip.blogspot.com < This video and message explains how to be saved so you will go to Heaven instead of Hell after you die. Don't wait until later to be saved because you may die before you get another chance.

Any thoughts/stories on this?

I know that for the most part, it usually doesn't help, but could it hurt you?

Of course it can help, if it's the right strings. If you are doing research for the buddy of a dean, for instance.
But it definitely can hurt in rare instances. There will always be some doctor willing ot make a phone call who isn't as well liked as he likes to think he is. I saw this happen in in law now and then -- always be careful of whether you are hitching your wagon to a rising star or a sinking ship.

Any string pulled too hard can hurt.