SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Can Pulling Strings Hurt You?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by cbtk18, Apr 13, 2007.

1. cbtk18

cbtk18 10+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Any thoughts/stories on this?

I know that for the most part, it usually doesn't help, but could it hurt you?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. DrBowtie

DrBowtie Final Countdown Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2005
    Classyville
    If its an electric string.

4. Haemulon

Haemulon Slippery When Wet Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Jun 1, 2006
    On SDN
    Eh. it is such a broad question that encompasses so many potential relationships and situations, that I doubt there can be any really good answers to this. Plus, much of it boils down to what you consider as pulling strings.

5. cbtk18

cbtk18 10+ Year Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Yeah I hear that---I just thought someone might have a story or example they could share

6. sunflwr85

sunflwr85 5+ Year Member

Jul 23, 2006
    I'm of the opinion that there's a very fine line between hurting and helping. In some situations if you really have a good connection that you can trust, it can be positive, I think. But if you aren't careful I think it can come across as sneaky or just inappropriate. I've had several offers from family and friends to "talk to someone I know," that I've turned down due to fear of it looking bad. I don't want them to think that I think I can get in just because I know the right people.

I see it as generally underhanded, but others may not feel that way. I'd be careful with it, though.

7. gary5

gary5 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Sep 24, 2003
    If you know doctors with connections, I'd say that they're smart enough to know what they can do for you without negative consequences. I know a guy who got no interviews (great grades with absolutely no clinical experience), but then his surgeon dad pulled strings and got him into a top school. I think it's pathetic, but it does happen.

8. ms2007plz

ms2007plz 2+ Year Member

Nov 5, 2006
    I don't know how often it happens for medical school admissions, but I've heard directly from several residents that knowing people/ having connections really helps out for residency. Networking seems to be important, no matter what field you go into...

9. PlayMeSomeMusic

PlayMeSomeMusic Always waiting... Moderator Emeritus 2+ Year Member

Feb 24, 2007
    NOLA
    MDApps:
    This is sorta on topic I suppose. I have a friend who worked in a doctor's office for a year and basically this person got the practice up and running with the doctor.. They had a really good relationship.. When she went to ask for a letter of rec (cause he's well known in the community) he told her that she didn't even want her name associated with his because he had pissed off so many medically school people by not agreeing with them/supporting opposite cause etc. He even went so far as to say that because she had worked there it's possible to get blacklisted anywhere in the region. And She had thought this would be the perfect shadowing experience..

10. browser2246

browser2246 Banned Banned

Apr 13, 2007
    http://passionclip.blogspot.com < This video and message explains how to be saved so you will go to Heaven instead of Hell after you die. Don't wait until later to be saved because you may die before you get another chance.

11. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Dec 20, 2004
    Of course it can help, if it's the right strings. If you are doing research for the buddy of a dean, for instance.
    But it definitely can hurt in rare instances. There will always be some doctor willing ot make a phone call who isn't as well liked as he likes to think he is. I saw this happen in in law now and then -- always be careful of whether you are hitching your wagon to a rising star or a sinking ship.

12. GuzzyRon

GuzzyRon Son of the Son of Man 10+ Year Member

Any string pulled too hard can hurt.