CAN SOMEBODY EXPLAIN THIS...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

einey

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spoke with OHIO MEDICAL COllEGE this am, to get info on my interview status because I'm being interviewed in Kansas, and I'm trying to plan the airplane thing.

They emailed me and said "We are sorry to inform you that at this time, we are not able to offer an interview. This decision is not final and your application will be reviewed at a later date." What the hell does that mean???? If I'm not being given an interview why I'm I being reviewed at a later date.

I think it is because of that upward grade trend. Medical schools say they look at upward grade trends, but I think that is a bunch of crap. I have maintained a 3.6 science GPA for the last 2 years of upper division science but they only look at the AMCAS number 3.08. MCATS, EC's and Letters of Rec were not mentioned as an issue just the GPA. It seems that it doesn't matter how hard you work at maintaining an upward GPA they appear to disregard it. So why don't they just reject me now, why are they reviewing my app later???? They said if I had any questions to call. Disgusted

Members don't see this ad.

you're so wrong!! i got a 3.0 my freshman year, and got 3.8 and 3.85 soph and junior years, and a 29 on mcat. not great stats since i had 3.6 overall, but northwestern interviewed me..i know it was because they figured my gpa was on track to be a 3.9 senior year. they take improvement into account, but you gotta have a decent overall to get some respect....a 3.08 is good since you've shown lots of improvement, but it's still very quetionable unless you show improvement AND end up with an OK gpa (or if the improvement is really good--like 3.8's). anyway

i can ASSURE you that they take grade trends into account. i have a 3.44 overall and 3.45 science with 34 mcat. i applied to 30 schools, and expected like 10 interviews..i've gotten 2!!!! why? senior year my gpa was a 3.0 again. that tells me they REALLY take trends into account. i'm sorry for you, but hey...there are worse situations out there.

A Caveman I don't they looked at my file beyond a cursory glance. I think they pulled my app this morning and just looked at the AMCAS sheet and emailed me back. Either way, I still don't know what the situation means, why review it later, my GPA will still be the same. I mean if they can't offer an interview now, why are they going to change in several weeks from now? I don't know what to do.

Members don't see this ad :)
You could consider writing them a letter saying that you are happy that they've let you know that they will review you for an interview at a later date, and when they do so, to please consider the following wonderful attributes that would make you a wonderful candidate at their school. You could at the same time address the issue of the upward trend in GPA, so that it's clearly there in writing.

If you're lucky, the letter will be on top of your file, and the reviewer may read it first before looking at the rest of your AMCAS application.

katiep has just given awesome advice. be very kind in all your correspondence with them.

the reason they'll wait for later is basically because they wanna see what else they got before they decide on your status. it's probably an unofficial 'hold for interview' type of deal. i'm in a few of those situations. in fact, since i have yet to hear from so many schools, i'm probably in that situation at all of them. dArn

The letter means nothing! The school is simply saying they do not have time to review your file before your other interivew. Don't freak out about that! Schools are really slowed down this year. I realize it was worth a shot, but you also need to realize you were asking a good deal of them to rush things.