Can somebody please take a look at my school list?

Started by survive5
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

survive5

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi,

I was wondering if someone can take a look at my school list.
Some of my backgroud: nontraditional applicant, LizzyM>75, strong research, ok clinical and EC, CT resident.
For family reasons, I need to stay within/close to Connecticut. Here's the list of schools in my mind:

Yale
UConn
Quinnipiac
Tufts
Columbia
Cornell
NYU
Brown
Dartmouth
Albert Einstein
Mount Sinai

Any suggestion would be appreciated!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What about BU, Harvard, and UMass? This is the first year UMass is accepting OOS for MD so there's not any data on those admissions yet, but it sounds like you have a strong app and it would be worth a shot!
 
What about BU, Harvard, and UMass? This is the first year UMass is accepting OOS for MD so there's not any data on those admissions yet, but it sounds like you have a strong app and it would be worth a shot!

Thanks for the info! I crossed off UMass coz I thought they don't take OOS. And Harvard might be out of my league. ..
 
If you have Tufts, add BU. If you are willing to go to PA, add UPitt. Add Rochester. Add Albany as well, but you might be overshooting.
 
have you thought about Harvard? You're well above their median MCAT, your GPA is a tad low, but its worth a shot for such a school. Plus its close to home for you.

You are also at the median for MCAT and GPA at U Penn, which is close to home.

I would add Pitt perhaps

You have a great shot at Boston U

U of Rochester might be a bit far... but you could think about it
 
Of course. I have a 38 MCAT and a 3.8 GPA. Hope that helps.
Just numbers wise, you could really apply to any school you want to. Harvard is a crap shoot for everyone, so there isn't any harm in applying there if you're limited by region. Aside from numbers, do you have volunteering experience and leadership experience? I see you have some clinical and research experience, which is great.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
have you thought about Harvard? You're well above their median MCAT, your GPA is a tad low, but its worth a shot for such a school. Plus its close to home for you.

You are also at the median for MCAT and GPA at U Penn, which is close to home.

I would add Pitt perhaps

You have a great shot at Boston U

U of Rochester might be a bit far... but you could think about it

I figure Harvard might be out of my league, but, hey, there's no harm trying. Thanks.
 
I figure Harvard might be out of my league, but, hey, there's no harm trying. Thanks.
Their median matriculate has a 36 last year. Their median gpa was a 3.92. So you definitely have a shot. No one applies there expecting to get in. But don't short change yourself. You could go top 10
 
Just numbers wise, you could really apply to any school you want to. Harvard is a crap shoot for everyone, so there isn't any harm in applying there if you're limited by region. Aside from numbers, do you have volunteering experience and leadership experience? I see you have some clinical and research experience, which is great.

I have some hospital volunteering / shadowing / scribe experience, but nothing WOW. I have a solid research backgound as I have a Ph.D, but I'm afraid it might work against me as lots of schools are not research oriented.
 
I have some hospital volunteering / shadowing / scribe experience, but nothing WOW. I have a solid research backgound as I have a Ph.D, but I'm afraid it might work against me as lots of schools are not research oriented.
if you have a Ph.D definitely apply to Harvard
 
I empathize with the 27-29ers (or for that matter the 32-34ers) who must feel crushed by the weight of all these high numbers. Certainly seems like a lot more than 1-2% are 3.8, 37+. They just keep falling in here like leaves off trees.
 
I think you will be safe staying within a decent radius of your CT home, but on another note, how have you been here since 2012 and don't know where to post your WAMC???
 
Their median matriculate has a 36 last year. Their median gpa was a 3.92. So you definitely have a shot. No one applies there expecting to get in. But don't short change yourself. You could go top 10

It is nice to hear you say so.
 
I think you will be safe staying within a decent radius of your CT home, but on another note, how have you been here since 2012 and don't know where to post your WAMC???

I'm not a regular here, and not quite sure what WAMC is. Did I post in the wrong place?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad