Can somebody tell me about Temple's location?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. For anyone who has visited Temple or is currently there, could you provide some information as to what the surrounding atmosphere is like?

I have all I need to know about it's mission/education/research etc. but I would really like to know if the area of Philly that Temple is in is "ghetto", highly populated, etc.

Sorry if this information can be found elsewhere! I couldn't think of anything...
Thanks all!

Members don't see this ad.

Ghetto definitely sums it up nicely. But I think that's a good thing for a med school, actually.

Robizzle said:
Hey guys. For anyone who has visited Temple or is currently there, could you provide some information as to what the surrounding atmosphere is like?

I have all I need to know about it's mission/education/research etc. but I would really like to know if the area of Philly that Temple is in is "ghetto", highly populated, etc.

Sorry if this information can be found elsewhere! I couldn't think of anything...
Thanks all!

Schaden Freud said:
Ghetto definitely sums it up nicely. But I think that's a good thing for a med school, actually.

that's EXACTLY what i was thinking. i would love an environment like that for medical education cuz u get to see all different types of stuff! (but then u have to watch ur back while walking home too =))

Members don't see this ad :)
I went to interview at Temple and wasn't very impressed with the area...it's a little ghetto but the school is great and at night it's completely lit up so the school is certainly willing to make the students feel as comfortable as possible. They also have TONS of police patrolling around.

I've seen a lot of Philadelphia, and what I have to say about it is that West Philly can't even hold a candle to North Philly (Temple). If Will Smith grew up in North Philly instead, he'd probably be a weird version of 50 Cent.

Slide said:
I've seen a lot of Philadelphia, and what I have to say about it is that West Philly can't even hold a candle to North Philly (Temple). If Will Smith grew up in North Philly instead, he'd probably be a weird version of 50 Cent.

You haven't truely seen West Philly is that's what you think

ironmanf14 said:
You haven't truely seen West Philly is that's what you think

Actually I do, I live right on the border of West Philly (West Philly starts around 40th St, I live near 39th), and I drive to and from work through West Philly everyday. It's not as bad because of the revitalization programs constantly being started and heavy campus and city involvement in making West Philly better. North Philly, however, is a little different.

So I was a mormon missionary in Philadelphia, and you all probably realize that we get around.....

I lived in West Philly (39th and Chestnut, 37th and Powellton) and South Philly (1500 S. Broad St.) and North Philly (Kensington and Alleghany).

I hate to tell you, but North Philly IS generally rougher than West Philly. Southwest Philly, where I did a ton of proselytizing, is really rough as well. More than half of the murders in Philly in 2002 were in that area of SW. South Philly is gentle compared to everything else, all italians and cambodians.

Temple has a gorgeous campus, and is very nice for about 2 blocks in either direction. Any more than that, and you are in some rough areas. However, there is a very effective transit system, and I knew some very happy families that lived about 30 minutes north or Temple. They were mostly dental students, but lived in very nice areas and their families were plenty safe.
To put it quickly, North Philly is rough, but you can find places to live if you want to go there.

That said, Philly is a cool city. There is just alot to stuff to do, tons of character and tons of culture. I'm pretty partial after living there 2 years, but hey....

I just received the secondary for Temple today. They asked if you have any interest in their clinical campus.

Crozer Chester Medical Center in Chester
Geisinger Health System in Danville
St. Luke Hospital in Bethlehem
Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh

I am not very familiar with the area in Pennsylvania. Is any of the campus location better than the others or anything I should know about? Thank you

hocapoca said:
I just received the secondary for Temple today. They asked if you have any interest in their clinical campus.

Crozer Chester Medical Center in Chester
Geisinger Health System in Danville
St. Luke Hospital in Bethlehem
Western Pennsylvania Hospital in Pittsburgh

I am not very familiar with the area in Pennsylvania. Is any of the campus location better than the others or anything I should know about? Thank you

Basically, none of them is Philly. I don't know a thing about Pittsburgh, but I've been to Chester and I've been to Bethlehem. Bethlehem is just a cute little residential town, whereas Chester is a little bigger and a little poorer.

I don't really know anything in particular to tell you, but I'll answer questions if I can.

Would you guys say that it is better to have a car? Or is it safe not to have one, and consequently walk home or around school?
How is the housing around the medical school? Is there a lot of crime/break-ins/burglaries??

I'm applying here and it would be nice to know. The south (I'm from TX) is kind of different, I guess. I've never been too scared to live in central Texas.

Hey, I'm starting Temple in the Fall, and I am from Pittsburgh. I really like it in Pittsburgh, so for now i plan on coming back to the West Penn campus. Pittsburgh gives you the city atmosphere and life, but is a little more tame compared to most cities. You might be interested in West Penn if you like the diversity of a city but philly is too much for you. Also, west penn has every rotation that you need to fulfill, so you won't have to travel around to any of the other campuses if you don't want to. I don't think you have this option at any of the other branch campuses.

There isn't much housing around the Temple Campus. Most people live in Center City and take public transporation or live in the suburbs and have a car. I chose option A since car insurance is extremely high in philly (about 3X what it is in the burgh).

ryandote said:
Basically, none of them is Philly. I don't know a thing about Pittsburgh, but I've been to Chester and I've been to Bethlehem. Bethlehem is just a cute little residential town, whereas Chester is a little bigger and a little poorer.

I don't really know anything in particular to tell you, but I'll answer questions if I can.
Lol chester is a ghetto. Anyways ye Temple is the bad part of philly but there hasn't been a murdered student that goes there in a couple of years.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SRK85 said:
Lol chester is a ghetto. Anyways ye Temple is the bad part of philly but there hasn't been a murdered student that goes there in a couple of years.

I don't know if that is correct. I am not possitive on this but i do remember on NBC10 about 1-2 years ago a story about female student (i believe it was medical but could possible have been dental) was shot and killed while waiting for a taxi(i think this is correct but might have just been standing on the corner) but it was deffinently a temple professional student. If you visit MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT OUTSIDE AFTER 5 or deff after dark and do not venture off campus on non-main roads to check out the area.(esp. if your white but i wouldent if i were any race)

Go for st. lukes (thats where i was born, yes in bethlahem but i am not jesus i am sad to say) Bethlahem is a chill town Lehigh University and De Salles??? is there so theres alot to due for a residential area. The historic part is great but there is def a not so great part as well. If your lookin for a city then st. lukes is not a good choice.

ryandote said:
So I was a mormon missionary in Philadelphia, and you all probably realize that we get around.....

I lived in West Philly (39th and Chestnut, 37th and Powellton) and South Philly (1500 S. Broad St.) and North Philly (Kensington and Alleghany).

I hate to tell you, but North Philly IS generally rougher than West Philly. Southwest Philly, where I did a ton of proselytizing, is really rough as well. More than half of the murders in Philly in 2002 were in that area of SW. South Philly is gentle compared to everything else, all italians and cambodians.

Temple has a gorgeous campus, and is very nice for about 2 blocks in either direction. Any more than that, and you are in some rough areas. However, there is a very effective transit system, and I knew some very happy families that lived about 30 minutes north or Temple. They were mostly dental students, but lived in very nice areas and their families were plenty safe.
To put it quickly, North Philly is rough, but you can find places to live if you want to go there.

That said, Philly is a cool city. There is just alot to stuff to do, tons of character and tons of culture. I'm pretty partial after living there 2 years, but hey....

Can't say i agree with this either. You could argue that the transit is OK but the only problem is that the area is SO bad i know people who work and have worked at the hospitol who will not take the transit because it is not safe waiting for it/walking to it. You will deff not stay by the campus like this man said you will live 30 min away in a decent area but temple is in a terrible area and the campus certainly is not great. If i were you i would apply else where i realy don't understand why people think temple is worth applying to UNLESS IT IS YOUR ONLY OPTION. look at SDNs worst campus locations i bet it is in there. if not i realy can't imagine worse.

awesome thanks for all the feedback folks. i'm glad this has turned into a "which part of philly is ghettoer" debate lol

ryandote said:

39th and 37th are NOT West Philly. You lived in University City, which is awesome

Slide said:
Actually I do, I live right on the border of West Philly (West Philly starts around 40th St, I live near 39th), and I drive to and from work through West Philly everyday. It's not as bad because of the revitalization programs constantly being started and heavy campus and city involvement in making West Philly better. North Philly, however, is a little different.

West Philly doesn't start at 40th, or not what I would consider West Philly. I lived on 43th street, and I didn't consider myself in West Philly AT ALL.

If you are talking exterior looks, sure North LOOKS a little nastier than West Philly. You cannot always tell how rough an area is from it's looks, trust me.

Temple is definitely in the ghetto, but most medical schools are located in shady areas even at highly ranked schools (ex. Johns Hopkins, Columbia, etc.) Temple's surrounding area is what actually makes it a great school because you see all types of stuff that you wouldn't generally see at a med school thats in the suburbs. I would say to base your decision on where to apply depending on what type of physician you want to do. If you want to do research or academia, then you should consider top notch schools. But, if you want to be a good clinican then Temple is a great school. Temple is known for producing awesome residents because your clinical experience is 'hands-on.' I would say that if you are invited for an interview, check out the area for yourself and definitely speak to other medical students while you are there. During my interview, most of the students really enjoy the school and say they feel pretty safe.
As for housing in Temple's surrounding area, some students live in Park ave, which is walking distance from the med campus and the hospital, (it's also really cheap) but again, it's right in the ghetto. Like someone mentioned before, most students live in Center City or in the suburbs about 15-20 minutes away. If you want some place closer you can also check out York North Apts (YONO) it's relatively expensive ($975 for a 1bd/1bth) but everything is included. It's actually 5 minutes north from the med campus.
Well, hope this helps. good luck during the application process!

cbennett said:
I don't know if that is correct. I am not possitive on this but i do remember on NBC10 about 1-2 years ago a story about female student (i believe it was medical but could possible have been dental) was shot and killed while waiting for a taxi(i think this is correct but might have just been standing on the corner) but it was deffinently a temple professional student. If you visit MAKE SURE YOU ARE NOT OUTSIDE AFTER 5 or deff after dark and do not venture off campus on non-main roads to check out the area.(esp. if your white but i wouldent if i were any race)

Go for st. lukes (thats where i was born, yes in bethlahem but i am not jesus i am sad to say) Bethlahem is a chill town Lehigh University and De Salles??? is there so theres alot to due for a residential area. The historic part is great but there is def a not so great part as well. If your lookin for a city then st. lukes is not a good choice.

There have been at least two medical students murdered in the last few years I think. IIRC, one was an asian medical student who went to Temple. And the other was in 2004, where a 3rd year Penn student was beaten to death by another Penn stutent near South Street. A crowd of people stood around and did nothing.

93% of Philadelphia is pretty crappy, and unfortuantely Temple is included in that.

It was a Jefferson student that was killed, and she was killed by a former Jefferson student who was dismissed from the university due to many issues - but yes, people did not help her as she was beaten - tremendously sad and very scary.

wizeguy said:
It was a Jefferson student that was killed, and she was killed by a former Jefferson student who was dismissed from the university due to many issues - but yes, people did not help her as she was beaten - tremendously sad and very scary.

Oh it was Jefferson.. she was a Harvard undergrad; got me confused.

baylormed said:
Would you guys say that it is better to have a car? Or is it safe not to have one, and consequently walk home or around school?
How is the housing around the medical school? Is there a lot of crime/break-ins/burglaries??

The problem with the car is there is really no place to park anywhere in philly.. you gotta remember its one of the oldest cities in the US and most of it was planned for horses, not for cars. :laugh: the roads are narrow and sometimes hard to navigate (compared to NY or DC). i am starting at jeff in a couple of weeks, and theres no way i would try and have my car, even in the nicer parts of the city.

Also for those of you who are commenting on the safeness of the area, a few kids from my undergrad who are going there are looking for places in center city and manayunk to live.

Also you dont know West Philly until you drive down Lancaster Ave in the middle of the night because you are avoiding an accident on i-76. i went to st joes. if you want to know what west philly truely is, you can look us up ;)

I worked at Temple Med for 3 summers and it's not as bad as people (who typically don't go there) think. Yes, it's not in a great neighborhood, but once I got used to it I never felt scared. I parked back in the "ghetto" about 6 or 7 blocks west of campus and walked every day (and I'm a small white female). Free parking, do what you gotta do. Smile and say hello to the people who live there and they have no problem with you. It's the people who look terrified of a black man and run the other way that they like to pick on. Also, security on campus, in the school and in the hospital is fantastic.

But if you're scared, please don't apply--- more spaces for me! :luck:

ironmanf14 said:
39th and 37th are NOT West Philly. You lived in University City, which is awesome

My apologies, I DID live in University City, but I was only there from 9:30 PM to 8:00 AM every day. Then we would catch the 34, 13, 36, or 11 down to Southwest, and THAT is a scary place. Similar at times to K & A (Kensington and Alleghany, or "the killing fields" as all the little ghetto cambodians called it).

In Southwest, we spent time all up and down chester, woodland, elmwood, and everywhere in between delivering the free bibles that everyone and their dog ordered off the TV. Don't get me wrong, I loved the area, it was plenty exciting, but I was scared alot, too.

ryandote said:
My apologies, I DID live in University City, but I was only there from 9:30 PM to 8:00 AM every day. Then we would catch the 34, 13, 36, or 11 down to Southwest, and THAT is a scary place. Similar at times to K & A (Kensington and Alleghany, or "the killing fields" as all the little ghetto cambodians called it).

In Southwest, we spent time all up and down chester, woodland, elmwood, and everywhere in between delivering the free bibles that everyone and their dog ordered off the TV. Don't get me wrong, I loved the area, it was plenty exciting, but I was scared alot, too.

I feel kind of silly turning this into a "more ghetto" fight. Let's just leave it at the fact that the area surrounding Temple is pretty rough, and somebody considering school there would be advised to check it out for themselves. (West may or may not be "worse" but since there is no Med School there...)