Can someone answer some Board questions?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alwayssunny

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just starting to look into optometry as a career and am confused about the different boards. When do students take the NBEO? After the NBEO does an optometrist have to take another board for each state they practice in? Also, I gather there is a lot of discussion on Board Certification will this replace anything else or is it an entirely new certification?

I posted these questions in the Pre-Optometry but received no replies.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just starting to look into optometry as a career and am confused about the different boards. When do students take the NBEO? After the NBEO does an optometrist have to take another board for each state they practice in? Also, I gather there is a lot of discussion on Board Certification will this replace anything else or is it an entirely new certification?

I posted these questions in the Pre-Optometry but received no replies.

Thanks in advance.

They're in the middle of restructuring the national boards right now, but right now they are taken during 3rd and 4th year. Some states require you to take state boards after taking the NBEO in order to practice but it depends on the state and each state's test is different.

As stated above, NBEO is a series of exams that you take while in school. The new Board Certification everyone is talking about will occur after you graduate. What they are proposing now is a point system. OD's will earn points through continuing education, earning FAAO (a fellowship thing), doing a residency and some other ways. Then after they earn 150 pts, they can sit for an exam. Then after you get board certified, you will have to show continued competency through continued testing though out your career.
The whole thing is still up for debate, nothing is set yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your comments.

With all of this restructuring are schools also restructuring are schools restructuring their programs to accomodate these changes.

Thanks for your comments.

With all of this restructuring are schools also restructuring are schools restructuring their programs to accomodate these changes.

This is a great interview question hint hint. :D

I know some schools are rearranging classes so you can get clinic time before Part I, which will be problem based from this point forth. I can speak for the 15 min chunk of interview day that was spent talking about board rates, new boards, and new restructuring at SCO to help out with the new board format.

Im sure it is so at all schools though, recruitment would be tough with low board rates.

Just as an fyi- NBEO (the boards folks) moved boards further back in the 3rd year so that it would be more clinically relevant and (thus?) easier. haha, sorry, had to laugh for a sec... ANYWAY, NBEO stressed to all schools that the move would not mean that they had to change the curriculum. However, some schools did (SCO included), but it was really meant to adjust the curriculum to align better with when the boards fell in the calender year (i.e. move a couple of classes here and there).

The first administration of Part 1- Applied Basic Science- is March 17th and 18th, so the restructuring has, essentially, already taken place. There is no "currently being restructured" going on for the students about to take these exams. For those pre-opts worried about all of this restructuring: don't. It doesn't matter to you, and it barely matters to the current 1st years. Yall aren't the guinea pigs. :) My class and JMU07's class will blaze the trails for you.

Sorry for the ramble, but I've been studying pathology and immunology all day. My life is fun right now.

My class and JMU07's class will blaze the trails for you.

Sorry for the ramble, but I've been studying pathology and immunology all day. My life is fun right now.

Enjoying a little Gen Physiology myself... :( Gotta love being guinea pigs!

Can't wait until March 18th at 5pm. :soexcited: