can someone evaluate my study method?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jon0013

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
i'm currently taking TPR for the august mcat and our second diagnostic is not until June 19th. I figured that I would try to read through all course material by then and do the homework as assigned in class. After the test, I will go back and try to focus on what i need to know better. as of right now i'd say i'm about 55% through orgo, 30% through g-chem, 40% through biology, 40% through physics in terms of amount read.

any feedback would be nice..

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think the best thing to do is get through the material as soon as possible. That way you can spend the majority of your time taking practice exams. The material is very important, you have to know your stuff. But equally important is getting used to the test. Also, if you do lots of practice material, you will go over a lot of the material and see what you don't know and then you can review that.

Don't forget to keep up with your Verbal, too!

I remember neglecting Verbal practice for one week or so, and my Verbal score on my next diagnostic dropped 3 points!

-tx

Also, make sure you are doing problems and stuff throughout your reading through the text because if you don't, it is very easy to forget some of the stuff after all of the reading if you don't really cover it in depth. At least that is what I see has happened to me after reading through all my books before the course started without doing any problems. Especially for stuff that requires calculations, if you don't reinforce that learning by doing the problems it will soon be lost.

Members don't see this ad :)
jon0013 said:
i'm currently taking TPR for the august mcat and our second diagnostic is not until June 19th. I figured that I would try to read through all course material by then and do the homework as assigned in class. After the test, I will go back and try to focus on what i need to know better. as of right now i'd say i'm about 55% through orgo, 30% through g-chem, 40% through biology, 40% through physics in terms of amount read.

thanks

Man, why do I always disagree with what people say on here :oops:

Someone said it's important to "get through" your material as fast as possible. Well, if you don't learn anything, that's pointless. I went through it on the syllabus schedule. I read the chapters once before the class when we'd discuss them. That read through was superficial, but not skim. I wanted to learn the material, but only short term. Then I'd go to class and pay as much attention as I could. If I had anything I didn't understand, this was the chance to get it clarified. When I studied after, I did it in depth. Anything that looked like it needed to go into my long term memory I put on flashcards (mostly physical science and organic). I studied all my flashcards at least every other day until I consistently got everything on them right every time.

Finally, once class was done, I did a complete review. I went through all the books again, made sure I knew all my flashcards, and that kind of stuff. Once I knew that I knew everything I could get out of the books, I put them away for the last day before the test and rested.

I got a 37 on the last diag, so it worked pretty well for me on the practice tests.

jon0013 said:

thanks
I don't recommend doing any work on a particular subject till it's covered in class. I chose to commit to a chapter and do all the work assigned for it (after it was covered in class) while it was fresh. The diags were my test to see if I knew it "out of context"

rather than try to encompass all of the material by motoring through it, try to identify at least a bit what your main areas of concern are, and spend some real time on those. Dont neglect the parts you know better, but dont spend valuable time reading over material you already know. definitely practice problems as much as you can and read the answer keys, becasue that is a huge asset. hope this helps! :)

I'll evaluate your study method as soon as AAMC evaluates mine! :D