Can Someone Help Me Put This In Perspective: Diagnostic Score 500?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted867660

Haven’t studied a whit and sat for the next step diagnostic and ended with a 500. My goal was to break 500 so I guess that’s kind of good - with this information, should I still shoot for my March testing date? Is it possible to score well with that amount of time?

I did pretty well in CARS in the 88th percentile and psych/Soc, not so great in chemistry/physics and biology just because I don’t remember stuff or don’t know how to do it.

For reference, I have taken biology 1/2, cell biology, genetics, psych, chem 1/2, orgo 1/2, and am currently taking physics. No biochem yet.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
3-4 months preparation time is considered optimal for MCAT. Depends on if you can do part time or full time studying.

Third party exams scores should be taken with a grain of salt (or rather, the whole shaker). I would normally say that you'll be fine with 3 months to study, but I'd strongly recommend waiting until after you've taken biochem to take the MCAT. Biochem is both the most common and most difficult subject on the MCAT so it'd be in your benefit to take the course first. Self teaching a full course on top of what I assume will be a full course load might be detrimental for you. Even if this means you postpone your MCAT and apply a year later, it's better than the alternative of getting an MCAT score that doesn't reflect your abilities and having to reapply anyway.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Short answer: an NS diag score of 500 isn't that informative (either positive or negative) and it's more about where you go next.

For a little bit more background, in previous job roles, I had a lot of experience working with people who took that particular diag, and I do think it can provide some information. Of course, the error bars are inherently pretty large with a half-length exam, and the correlations with eventual AAMC scores aren't perfect (particularly in the higher ranges), but in my experience it made sense to organize my thinking based on approximately 5-point intervals. Roughly speaking, I'd give the following rules of thumb about NS diag scores from the perspective of a tutor working with a student to develop a study plan:
  • ≤~490: seriously concerning; this would reflect major gaps in content and/or information processing, and we'd need to have a really serious conversation about readiness to take the exam and the steps needed to get there
  • ~495: still concerning, need to figure out whether content gaps are the major problem or if it's more of a strategy/information processing issue (or both?), I'd really want to make sure that the student has a study plan with enough space, time, and material to do the considerable work necessary to get to a higher score
  • ~500: really tough to tell. Sometimes this is the starting point of someone who hasn't really thought about the MCAT yet, or who completed the coursework a while ago and it's just really rusty, and they wind up crushing it as soon as they get to work. Sometimes this can also be a plateau and we need to figure out strategies to break through to the next level.
  • ~505: pretty promising as a starting point, obviously still need to figure out targeted areas of improvement.
  • ~510: extremely solid starting point, the conversation is going to be more about dealing w/ any final areas of weakness and/or finding some things to get truly excellent at in order to hopefully break 515 if not 520.
The fact that you got pretty high scores in CARS and P/S (especially CARS) leads me to think that it probably is, more than anything, a content issue. A 3–4 month study plan with an intense focus on content is doable. If you have a solid chunk of time where you can focus primarily on the MCAT, that would be especially helpful. The details might depend on your school's winter break, etc. But I do also agree with @MedSchoolTutors that learning biochem from scratch is no joke, so it's worth thinking carefully about whether you'll have the time to allocate to that.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user