MD & DO Can someone explain the politics inside residency programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1139416

Just started 3rd year of medical school a month ago. I’ve heard a lot of things about politics of residency programs such as “Program Director protects residents from the hospital board”, “Chief Resident acts as a liaison between residents and attendings”, etc. Can anyone go into more details of who does what politics-wise within residency programs? And how things differ between programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Just started 3rd year of medical school a month ago. I’ve heard a lot of things about politics of residency programs such as “Program Director protects residents from the hospital board”, “Chief Resident acts as a liaison between residents and attendings”, etc. Can anyone go into more details of who does what politics-wise within residency programs? And how things differ between programs?
All those things are true. Nobody can teach you how to learn these things. You ask around and get a sense for attendings, chiefs, program directors reputation in the hospital.

I got lucky and had a fantastic PD who was chill, brilliant, loved teaching us, and never expected us to deal with BS from attendings or anyone else. She was also well-connected at the higher levels of the hospital because she’d been there 15+ years and established herself as a superstar. You pick up on this by how other consult teams interact with them - do they defer to their judgment? Do they publicly praise said attending or chief? Do they even know who the person is?

PD’s change, chief residents change… but if you pick a program led by a superstar, consider yourself lucky and pray they stay while you’re a resident.

Reactions: 2 users
Varies widely by speciality and even by program. Very different dynamic in a large IM program with 20+ residents a year compared to a small subspeciality with 2 residents per year.

Very broadly speaking though, there is usually a hierarchy and you'll just have to adapt to whatever you find. In general, you're never wrong running things up to people immediately senior to you before taking them up further.

My program was heavily resident-run. Chiefs managed all the vacations, concerns, call schedules, changes, etc. The PD would sign off but by the time anything got to his desk it was usually a finished product and he was an awesome and reasonable guy. After I graduated, the residents decided to shift from a home call to a night float system, and they figured out all the rotational schedules and brought it to the PD and got it approved.

We had a very chill program compared to others and junior residents would often call attendings directly - not every program does that. Even so, attendings want to be called with a plan already made, even if they don't agree with it, and juniors were usually urged to make a plan with their seniors before staffing things higher up. Better learning for the seniors, and spared the attendings poorly worked up presentations from juniors.

You'll figure stuff out when you get there. When in doubt, ask someone senior to you. Try to avoid skipping wrungs of the ladder lest you make someone above you look bad - never a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep. Every program is different. My PD was a straight up Nazi. Nah, not really. He was very strict and if you lived within the boundaries he defined, you had no problems. It did leave some tension in the air every day. I had the Chief of ortho stroll in one morning and wanted to know why I was holding things up. I explained the situation, he left and came back with my chief. Avagadro...Did you see this patient last night and call the attending to formulate this plan? Yes sir. He spun around and told the Chief of Ortho, that is what was discussed, that is what will be done, He turned and strode away. If you followed the rules, he supported you 100%. BTW, there was no one senior to run things past. It was your attending or the Chief.

Basically agree with above, entirely dependent on your program, the size of the program, and your PD/chief residents' philosophy.

Reactions: 1 users
Our PD didn't want to hear about any problems from the residents. If he heard about it of got involved, he was pissed and you were gonna get nailed. So... We were heavily senior resident run.

My seniors when I was a Pgy2 were horrific...lazy and no one respected them. Beginning of the year, attendings sided with them.... Half way, I remember them getting reamed in a private meeting. All residents were excused besides them from morning conference... And they got lit up. 😣

This will also depend on the size of the program. A program with only a handful of residents (such as surgical subspecialties) are going to have a different culture than large IM or Peds programs. The larger the program, the more impact the residents have on day to day operations, so the more political clout the program leadership has.

Reactions: 1 user
Every institution is unique as everyone has said.

Like ChiDO my PD didn't want to hear about any problems. If he got involved it was a total toss-up what was going to happen. I definitely didn't feel like he had my back as a chief. We were a very resident run program and I often made decisions that got countermanded, especially if one of my residents got to him before I did.

After chastising a junior resident for repeatedly showing up late to work (8:15-8:30am routinely for an 8am start), a resident complained I was harassing them and *I* got a talking to from my PD that it wasn't a big deal. I politely explained he was the one who set the start time for the 40 person residency and he had emphasized that people needed to show up on time, if not early.

Then when a bunch of residents didn't log their duty hours online, he ordered all the offenders to report to the hospital at 5am. Just no consistency.

Regarding schedules, every time a resident called in sick on a service I got a call from the section chief demanding a replacement. That often meant pulling a resident from another service to cover. I got yelled at a lot by section chiefs. That shouldn't have happened. A (chief) resident shouldn't be put in a no-win scenario like that. Pull a resident to make that service happy, you piss off the service you pull from. The PD should be handling and deflecting those issues.

As mentioned in the above posts, if you keep your eyes and ears open you'll come to understand the local politics quickly. That stuff doesn't change either. Stuff like that has definitely been an issue in my attending practice too.