What are some common/obvious signs that someone is fluffing up their ERAS CV?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1168269

I like to think of myself as an authentic person. How can I avoid coming off as "fluffing up" my CV? Aside from avoiding experiences that I did very short term or only a couple days, I don't see any other way to avoid coming off as fluffing it up.

Members don't see this ad.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
I admire that your focus on authenticity. I sincerely hope that people are able to distinguish the real deal from puffery. For myself, I can tell you that when I discover someone has inflated their resume, it is the kiss of death. A wall comes down over my eyes and they have no chance whatsoever. What's more, I have come to believe--over more decades than I care to admit--that that honesty truly is the best policy. Trust, once lost, is very difficult to recover. Thus, the only advice I can give you is obvious: avoid the temptation to fluff or lie and live an authentic life--even when you're applying for a position that means everything to you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users
Just write effectively about what you've done. Don't worry about "fluffing", and it won't happen. While there is some formalism or "presentation" aspect associated with CVs, it should relate concisely why you are the right candidate.

It sounds like it would be helpful to get feedback from your school's career development office. Over time, this kind of writing becomes more instinctual.

Members don't see this ad :)
The biggest offender for me is trying to pass off something that is really just part of being in school as something more than it is. Ie, if the medical students all present an interesting case at the end of their IM rotation at morning report, that is not an "oral presentation"--that is just part of doing your job as a student.

Similarly, if you present the same poster at 3 different conferences, I probably only need to hear about the biggest conference.

Reactions: 5 users
The biggest offender for me is trying to pass off something that is really just part of being in school as something more than it is. Ie, if the medical students all present an interesting case at the end of their IM rotation at morning report, that is not an "oral presentation"--that is just part of doing your job as a student.

Similarly, if you present the same poster at 3 different conferences, I probably only need to hear about the biggest conference.

What about the volunteer graduation requirement that some schools have?

Reactions: 1 user
I am putting a one-off volunteering experience because it helps to paint a picture of who I am and goes along with the theme I am trying to convey (lots of teaching/mentoring). Hopefully it’s not an issue

I am putting a one-off volunteering experience because it helps to paint a picture of who I am and goes along with the theme I am trying to convey (lots of teaching/mentoring). Hopefully it’s not an issue
If it is a one off that fits with a bunch of other stuff on your CV, that's fine. It's more an issue if someone inflates a one-off experience with no supporting evidence, that's more of a red flag

Reactions: 2 users
If it is a one off that fits with a bunch of other stuff on your CV, that's fine. It's more an issue if someone inflates a one-off experience with no supporting evidence, that's more of a red flag

I feel like this might be a good list of things to avoid:

1) Excessive short term activities
2) Old irrelevant activities
3) Research activities that don’t amount to poster/publications
4) Activities that are exaggerated more than they are (such as the oral presentation example you gave)

I feel like this might be a good list of things to avoid:

1) Excessive short term activities
2) Old irrelevant activities
3) Research activities that don’t amount to poster/publications
4) Activities that are exaggerated more than they are (such as the oral presentation example you gave)
Someone without pubs purposely excluding any research they did because it didn't amount to a publication is just shooting themselves in the foot...especially if it is basic science. Appearing to have zero research experience at all hurts more than doing research that just isn't published yet, or working in a lab where you were part of the hypothesis generating experiments and thus won't make it on the paper.

If someone already has many pubs then your point might makes sense

Reactions: 3 users
Someone without pubs purposely excluding any research they did because it didn't amount to a publication is just shooting themselves in the foot...especially if it is basic science. Appearing to have zero research experience at all hurts more than doing research that just isn't published yet, or working in a lab where you were part of the hypothesis generating experiments and thus won't make it on the paper.

If someone already has many pubs then your point might makes sense
I would agree. Having a research experience and it completing failing is actually a far more useful, realistic and MATURE experience than “yeah, I didn’t do Jack except something that a high school student could do and someone held my hand… but I’m published without learning anything!”

If a monkey can do it, the impact is smaller than someone who actually had an experience than didn’t produce something tangible.

Reactions: 2 users