Can someone explain Translation to me?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheGuy2000

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm going to be real annoying throughout the summer and keep asking about these processes, but can someone explain this to me, and the function of the different RNA? I know that rRNA and proteins, make up the small and large units of the ER, and the tRNA brings the amino acids from the cytosol, but then I get kind of confused about the steps, with P and A sites, etc. Any help is appreciated thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

I'll try to keep the explanation as simple as possible, since you won't have to be worried too much about specifics on the MCAT.

You already know the function of tRNA and rRNA. Don't forget about mRNA! mRNA is the strand that is read. So the ribosomal complex will move down the mRNA and whatever amino acid is added next (brought by the tRNA) will depend on mRNA's base sequence. So, the base sequence of an mRNA is used to order and join the amino acids in a protein.

As far as P and A sites go, just remember that the first amino acid, Met, with it's tRNA will bind at THE P SITE FIRST. The next amino acid (for eg. Arg) will be added at the A site. The ribosome will then move down the mRNA strand, and the tRNA bound to Met will be released (through hydrolysis of GTP --- but you probably won't have to know that), and the amino acid (in my example Arg) which came after Met will now occupy the P site. A new amino acid (eg Leu) will be added at the A site. This process will continue until translation is stopped with a stop codon.

To really simplify it, the amino acids (EXCEPT FOR THE FIRST ONE --- Met)* will be added to the A site first, then will be shifted to the P site where its tRNA is released.
*Met will bind directly to the P site first instead, and then its tRNA will be released.

I hope this helps.

in terms of acronyms, the three sites for translation remind me of the Environmental Protection Agency. But maybe I'm just weird.

translation is just as it sounds: whereas "transcription" is comparable to taking a letter and writing it out identically (but with a different pen, hence ribonucleotides versus deoxyribonucleotides), "translation" involves writing the same letter in another language entirely, moving from ribonucleotides to amino acids--> proteins.

Z

Members don't see this ad :)
you ever try looking at pictures of the translation process? this may help out a bit. Nice pictures in the Campbell biology book.