Can someone explain why a single dose of hCG causes a LH surge?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

auburnO5

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I understand that it's made early by the embryo and then syncytiotrophoblasts to keep the corpus luteum producing progesterone.

I guess I can't figure out why it would cause an LH surge.

This is in the setting of an anovulatory/infertile female seeking fertility treatment, after doses of menotropins (GnRH?) were given.

Members don't see this ad.

hCG is very similar to LH.

Same alpha subunit as LH and similar beta subuint

I understand that it's made early by the embryo and then syncytiotrophoblasts to keep the corpus luteum producing progesterone.

This is in the setting of an anovulatory/infertile female seeking fertility treatment, after doses of menotropins (GnRH?) were given.

(here's what I think/remember): The infertile woman is probably lacking FSH and LH. The menotropins are probably acting like FSH to handle what FSH was supposed to do.

FSH, LH, TSH, and hCG share a common alpha subunit so hCG can simulate an LH surge if you spike it into her. I think it's actually replacing the LH surge, not causing an LH surge

hCG is very similar to LH.

Same alpha subunit as LH and similar beta subuint

^This. Basically hCG = LH w/ weak FSH and TSH (TSH can cross placenta--> maternal hyperthyroidism but unapparent because of estrogen increasing TBG). Produced by placenta in order to 'save' the corpus luteum --> production of estrogen/PROGESTERONE from ovaries and corpus luteum until 2nd trimester when placenta takes over. Is actually highest in concentration 2nd and 3rd trimester.

Key board style question I got from Kaplan... "When can ovaries be removed during pregnancy (I don't know why you'd want to remove them but whatever)?"
Ans: After 1st trimester because placenta takes over.