Can someone get me up to speed with the MD application process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kelminak

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello friends,

I was previously only intending to apply to DO schools considering my low stats, but at the advisement or some members on here, I am considering applying to just two MD schools (UW through WWAMI-Idaho and WSU's new school).

Here's my stats:
GPA: Horrendous. It'll be ~3.2 through full-grade replacement in AACOMAS, but I would specifically have to ask them to review my transcript as I have a huge positive trend since I did so poorly years ago.
MCAT: 28 (7/12/9)
ECs: ~500 hours volunteering at my local hospital, 50 hours shadowing a pediatrician, a DO LOR (from the pediatrician), will have 2-3 science PhD LORs

Is there anything extra I would need? I know I'm an extreme underdog and have low chances, so I don't need to be told that. :p I just figure if I am going to apply to these schools, I'd want to do it right and not mess up something that I could prevent by doing it the right way. If there's any more information that would be helpful, please let me know.

Thank you in advance for all of your help!

EDIT: This is for *next* cycle, the 2017 cycle for the class starting in 2018. Sorry for the mixup!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Are you talking about this application cycle or the next? Also you may want to check on the MCAT acceptance policies at those schools since I believe most schools will have/be phasing out the old MCATs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you talking about this application cycle or the next? Also you may want to check on the MCAT acceptance policies at those schools since I believe most schools will have/be phasing out the old MCATs.

It is too late to apply this cycle

Sorry, I meant I'll be applying next cycle!

So what is your GPA for MD?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

I am not sure, but I have literally redone years of coursework. I can use a calculator for it later tonight when I'm off work if you'd like me to.

You don't have to but it's hard to advise you without it. Just remember MD does not replace grades. Each and every grade you got will be in the calculation.

You don't have to but it's hard to advise you without it. Just remember MD does not replace grades. Each and every grade you got will be in the calculation.

Yeah definitely, which is why my GPA is so abysmal I'm scared to even look at it. I'll get to work on getting my MD GPA figured out and update you guys ASAP.

So what is your GPA for MD?

Ok so I busted out the excel spreadsheet and if I maintain a 4.0 GPA this semester, it would only put me at a 2.5 for the AMCAS. I'm guessing that would pretty much totally knock me out of contention for a spot right? @Goro had mentioned I might be competitive earlier, but the retakes make a huge difference for my AACOMAS GPA and might not have realized how dire the situation was.

Well given that your MCAT may expire for the following cycle, can you retake that and crush it? You have a 12 on verbal, so your analytical reasoning ability is solid. If you review and practice the content well, you can excel on the retake and perhaps get a 37+/520+

Ok so I busted out the excel spreadsheet and if I maintain a 4.0 GPA this semester, it would only put me at a 2.5 for the AMCAS. I'm guessing that would pretty much totally knock me out of contention for a spot right? @Goro had mentioned I might be competitive earlier, but the retakes make a huge difference for my AACOMAS GPA and might not have realized how dire the situation was.

Yeah a 2.5 is too low for MD. I'd stick with DO but still retake the MCAT since it may have expired by the time you apply. By crushing the exam, any DO school is yours.

Reactions: 1 user
Well given that your MCAT may expire for the following cycle, can you retake that and crush it? You have a 12 on verbal, so your analytical reasoning ability is solid. If you review and practice the content well, you can excel on the retake and perhaps get a 37+/520+

Yeah a 2.5 is too low for MD. I'd stick with DO but still retake the MCAT since it may have expired by the time you apply. By crushing the exam, any DO school is yours.

I actually checked with most schools and they said I'd be good to apply with that MCAT. I think I'm going to stick with it and if I don't have any acceptances by...December(?) then I'll work on reviewing the content to retake it. Now that I have a better feeling for how the MCAT works, I could absolute dominate it if I took it a second time, but I don't want to put the effort in if the 28 is good enough for DO.

I actually checked with most schools and they said I'd be good to apply with that MCAT. I think I'm going to stick with it and if I don't have any acceptances by...December(?) then I'll work on reviewing the content to retake it. Now that I have a better feeling for how the MCAT works, I could absolute dominate it if I took it a second time, but I don't want to put the effort in if the 28 is good enough for DO.

Yeah a 28 is fine for DO schools. I'm not familiar with DO admissions, but I feel you can actually apply now since the DO cycle is longer. I think your app is good and you can net some acceptances without having to wait another year.

@Goro @AlteredScale and @AnatomyGrey12 can correct me on this

Reactions: 1 user
Yeah a 28 is fine for DO schools. I'm not familiar with DO admissions, but I feel you can actually apply now since the DO cycle is longer. I think your app is good and you can net some acceptances without having to wait another year.

My GPA won't be what I listed until next cycle. I'm still taking classes to boost my GPA. I'm at a 2.97 currently, otherwise I would have applied this cycle. I came from a 1.9 at one point, so hopefully they see a positive trend ;P

Last edited:
My GPA won't be what I listed until next cycle. I'm still taking classes to boost my GPA. I'm at a 2.97 currently, otherwise I would have applied this cycle. I came from a 1.9 at one point, so hopefully they see a positive trend ;P

Unfortunately med school admissions is a buyers market (even more so in the MD schools IMO) so even though that is a positive trend, many schools will just screen out your application.

Unfortunately med school admissions is a buyers market (even more so in the MD schools IMO) so even though that is a positive trend, many schools will just screen out your application.

Why would I get screened if my AACOMAS GPA is 3.2? There are a couple schools that require something like 3.25 which I'll avoid, but most of them screen at 3.0 AFAIK.

Why would I get screened if my AACOMAS GPA is 3.2? There are a couple schools that require something like 3.25 which I'll avoid, but most of them screen at 3.0 AFAIK.

I was talking about for the MD since they don't grade replace

28 for DO is just fine. At my school (KCU) you just need to be aware that there is a pretty stringent GPA cutoff (3.25) for a secondary app invite. GPA overall is much higher than that to receive an II.

Should be applying soon though to get ahold of those secondaries.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Positive trend is always good. But despite that some schools will unfortunately not be so receptive if your overall calculated AACOMAS GPA is still low. You should be considering BCOM, UIWSOM, and any of the newest DO schools where there may be more wiggle room for the admissions process.

Positive trend is always good. But despite that some schools will unfortunately not be so receptive if your overall calculated AACOMAS GPA is still low. You should be considering BCOM, UIWSOM, and any of the newest DO schools where there may be more wiggle room for the admissions process.

You made a thread asking about applying md and said your AMCAS gpa is a 2.5.

Definitely sounds like a plan. I have PNWU which takes the most Idaho DO students at the moment and ICOM will be opening in Meridian which I imagine I have a really good chance at as an in-state resident. Beyond that, I'll apply as broadly and wisely as possible. I'll probably be back here come May asking for school list help. :) Thanks!