• Advice You're Thankful for Contest

Now that it's getting close to Thanksgiving, we're running a contest to hear advice you've received that you're most thankful for! This can be any type of advice and the advice with the most reactions will win!

JOIN CONTEST

Can someone give me a definitive answer on why students obsessed with submitting at 9 am every year

Tripl3crown

5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2015
  1. Medical Student
    ....we are almost certain it's going to crash. I know it is probably specialty specific but is there any real reason why everyone tries to submit at 9. I hear everything from your application is numbered to good ole' med student neurosis.

About the Ads

NotAProgDirector

Pastafarians Unite!
    Staff member
    Volunteer Staff
    Verified Expert
    15+ Year Member
    Oct 11, 2006
    1. Attending Physician
      It's because it doesn't matter. I already have >900 applications submitted. No way I'm looking at them all today, or this week for that matter. Whether it's complete today, or next week, doesn't matter much. Plus there were ERAS problems last year so it was hard to tell who submitted "late" and who was delayed by ERAS. And MSPE's don't come for 2 weeks anyway. Could other programs use this as a factor? I guess so, but it seems crazy to me.

alberrito

5+ Year Member
      Mar 31, 2014
        It's because it doesn't matter. I already have >900 applications submitted. No way I'm looking at them all today, or this week for that matter. Whether it's complete today, or next week, doesn't matter much. Plus there were ERAS problems last year so it was hard to tell who submitted "late" and who was delayed by ERAS. And MSPE's don't come for 2 weeks anyway. Could other programs use this as a factor? I guess so, but it seems crazy to me.

For me, it's because many programs claim to hand out IV's on a first come first serve basis. If I'm further up on the list and the program director thinks I fit the bill then I would receive an IV as opposed to being further down the list and even tho i may be a good fit theres no IV spots left for me. That's assuming that PD review apps in a chronological order. Please correct me if I am wrong. Also, it's because i'm neurotic too, lol.

epsilonprodigy

Physicist Enough
        7+ Year Member
        Jun 17, 2009
        1. Resident [Any Field]
          Eep, I submitted last night… how bad is that? On the 15th, I worked 'til 9pm-->accidentally fell asleep studying, then was on (super busy) call on the 16th. I have 2 invites already, so….hoping this means it's not the end of the world?

About the Ads
          This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
          2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
          5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
          6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
          7. This thread is locked.