Can someone give me an approximate number of classes I'll have to take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Can someone give me an approximate number of classes I'll have to take in addition to the classes I need for a chemistry major + general ed. requirements?

I am a high school senior, I probably won't get into the pharmacy schools I applied to (0-6 programs).
I got into 1/2 of the schools I want to go to for a chemistry major.

I got into Rutgers Newark. I am waiting on Rutgers New Brunswick for chemistry and pharmacy. I also applied to St. Johns pharmacy. (I don't feel ready, nor do my parents for me to go so far away from home straight out of high school).

So my plan is get my bachelors in chemistry and go onto pharmacy school.
I'm just scared that I won't fulfill all my pharmacy school requisites along with the classes I need for my degree...

this is for Newark rutgers:
http://chemistry.rutgers.edu/undergrad/chem_major_minor_details.pdf

this is for new brunswick Rutgers:
http://rutchem.rutgers.edu/undergraduate_study-chemistry_major

Edit:
I'm thinking I should take at least one class every chance I get per break. I heard I can do that. Maybe I will take public speaking my first break and then take a slightly harder class so I can keep one of the easier classes per semester as a buffer or something.

Should I max out on credits per semester?

Do the credits I earn during breaks count towards any semesters?

Members don't see this ad.

Here you go for rutgers:
https://pharm.rutgers.edu/files/Admissions%20-%20Transfer%20Students_0.pdf
Just compare and contrast with your chem major stuff. You're going to have to look at the schools you want to go to for pharmacy and compare their admission reqs with that of the chem program of the school you end up going to. A lot overlaps. Some things that might not be in a chem degree would be physiology, anatomy, microecon, statistics... It really depends on where you go. Also, you'll have room for electives in your chem degree so you can take those extras at the same time, probably wont need to take summer or winter courses.

Can someone give me an approximate number of classes I'll have to take in addition to the classes I need for a chemistry major + general ed. requirements?

I'm thinking I should take at least one class every chance I get per break. I heard I can do that. Maybe I will take public speaking my first break and then take a slightly harder class so I can keep one of the easier classes per semester as a buffer or something.

Should I max out on credits per semester?

Do the credits I earn during breaks count towards any semesters?

The total number of credits you're going to need is very much dependent upon two things: the requirements of the chemistry degree at the school you decide to go to, and the prerequisites for the pharmacy school you are aiming for. Each school has slightly different requirements, which makes it difficult to give you an exact number. I can give you my experience as a gauge, but it may not necessarily be true for everyone.

In addition to my chemistry major, I took...
3 (semester) units economics
3 public speaking
4 anatomy
4 physiology
8 general bio (one full year)
4 microbiology
3 english (I had AP credit, which some schools don't accept).

If you get started early, and are diligent enough with your coursework, this can be accomplished with a chemistry degree. You also can take summer or winter courses, but those can be extremely costly. I was lucky enough to get a tuition waiver, but not everyone does. Those credits usually don't count towards any particular semester, but they do contribute to your overall credit count when you graduate.

I also would not try to max out the number of credits for every semester. With a chemistry major, that's really just way too much, especially since you'll be taking some difficult chemistry, physics and biology courses at the same time.