Can someone please double check my understanding of this USMLE update?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atl_Hawks02

7+ Year Member
Reaction score

4/22 : At this time, USMLE exams continue to be unavailable:

• Testing at CSEC centers for Step 2 Clinical Skills (CS) is suspended until at least June 1, 2020.
4:17:
Step 2 Clinical Skills
All CSEC test centers are temporarily closed until at least May 31, 2020. Centers will reopen on a site-by-site basis, according to local public health practices and guidelines. When testing resumes, we will institute measures to keep examinees and test center staff safe. As a result, examinees should anticipate some modifications to administrative procedures at CSEC test centers.

So I'm scheduled for CS on June 1st. Does this mean I still have it? Does suspended until June 1st mean June 1st is the new start date?

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly I would operate under the assumption that your June 1st date is about to get cancelled on you. There's just no way. They announced today they don't even think they can get the Step 1 / Step 2 CK testing booths back online at Prometric by end of May. There's no way they can have us flying all over the country and touching the same handful of actors all day in just 5 weeks.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Do you think June 1st CK date would get cancelled also?

There will be CK testing that day according to the most recent update. However, they are cancelling random examinations so that they can abide by social distancing measures so will have decreased testing capacity. So there is still a chance it could be cancelled.

No one knows. All we know is that everything is canceled until at least May 31st. We can all guess and my guess would be PE will be canceled for the foreseeable future (maybe they'll have schools just pass you all this year?) and written exams will be available in limited capacity later this summer. Residency applications will likely not require Step 2 scores this year.

All we know is that everything is canceled until at least May 31st.

This is not correct. Written tests will resume at Prometric centers starting on May 1 in many parts of the country according to the most recent update from both the NBME and NBOME.

Reactions: 1 user
This is not correct. Written tests will resume at Prometric centers starting on May 1 in many parts of the country according to the most recent update from both the NBME and NBOME.

Ah, I thought that was canceled too.

Reactions: 1 user