Can someone please read my personal statement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kenken514

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know I’m a little late to be submitting. I’m hoping to submit this week but would just like a few more eyes on my PS.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

While we can't offer to read your personal statement (we are a business and it would be unethical to offer that service for free while we charge others), we do believe information should be free and want to help you by explaining what a good personal statement should look like so you can proof read it yourself.

Structure your essay like an academic essay with an introduction, 2-3 body paragraphs and a conclusion. A captivating introduction can help to pull the reader in. We suggest using this first sentence to connect emotionally with the reader and to really captivate their attention. The rest of the introductory paragraph can be the first narrative as well as a sentence or two explaining what the remainder of the essay will touch on.

For the body paragraphs we recommend laying out 3 experiences or so, that can showcase your interest, passion and dedication for medicine. Although it is tempting to list off everything you have ever done, remember that they will have your other documents. Quality over quantity. Try to keep each paragraph to 1 main argument or experience. Explain the situation you were in, in detail and be as specific as possible. This is because you want to be memorable but also believable. It is important to connect emotionally with the reader, and using a narrative structure in which you explain a certain experience (such as a patient encounter or a personal example) helps to pull the reader in and allow them to connect with you. After recounting the experience, tell the reader what you learned. You can always look up the AAMC Core Competencies and have each take-away lesson align with a competency.

For the conclusion avoid a dry summary of what you have already told the reader. Instead, leave them wanting to know more about you. You can do this in many different ways. Some students will do a "call back" to the introduction, where they mention the opening narrative again, but only to a certain point, using it to mention something impactful. You can also look forwards and discuss how your experiences will make you a good physician in the future, or discuss some aspect of medicine you are excited about tackling.

Also, remember that admissions committees spend mere minutes reading these essays, so you must ensure it is grammatically correct and with zero spelling mistakes. Reading aloud can help to catch these, as well as having some proof readers.

We hope this helps! Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users