Can someone please tell me

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

drlook

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please tell me what "Late" in the application cycle means? I know early means you submitted your secondaries over the summer (before September) and that INCLUDES LORs. What's late? What's normal? SOMEONE please give me a clue. Because everyone talks about being "late" or being "early" and I have no idea what that means. Is submitting everything in September/October normal? And after that it is late?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh this is so subjective but I'll give you my estimates.

Early: June-July (including secondaries)
Normal: August-September
Late: October+

The whole point of this early/late thing though is not to impose any weird deadlines on people but to encourage them to submit all their stuff as soon as they can. There's no point waiting until August because I still count August as being early if you can be complete in July.

I was complete at the tail-end of Sept. and I've received a lot of interviews so being on the later side might not kill you, but the problem with doing this is that it will take a while for the schools to process and review your apps AND interviews are typically scheduled a month or two in advance so the later you submit, the later you're reviewed and the later your interviews will be which isn't great since most schools have rolling admissions. All this time adds up!

Applying in June is the only way to avoid grief at the end - less waiting, less waiting, less waiting. Waiting is the worst thing in this entire process, worse than the final decisions (ya, I would go so far as to say that it is).

Applying in June is the only way to avoid grief at the end - less waiting, less waiting, less waiting. Waiting is the worst thing in this entire process, worse than the final decisions (ya, I would go so far as to say that it is).

unless your file gets overlooked for months, which happens
OR they tell you in Oct that they will review your app again in May
sometimes applying early simply means waiting longer