• Pharmacy Job Market Webinar

Are you considering applying to pharmacy school but are concerned about job prospects when you graduate? Join us on Wednesday, July 28th at 8 PM Eastern to hear from three PharmDs about their experiences and options outside of retail pharmacy.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
Can anyone tell me if this is a decent and "doable" class schedule for my postbacc.

?1- Starting this summer, im planning on taking General CHemistry 1 and 2 including lab and a semester of Calculus.
The summer is broken in parts so first session ill be taking Gen Chem 1 and lab and second session i will take Gen Chem 2 and Calculus.

?2- Then for Fall and Spring, I will be taking Orgo Chem 1 w/ lab, Bio w/ lab and physics w/ lab.
To me, this seems like a hell of a lot of science classes each semester but i believe it is more than just possible.

all the advise would be appreciated~

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
no outside work? really? I was hoping to put in some parttime hours of vounteer work as well tho cuase I dont have any health-care experience really as of now. Would u recommend that I just focus on my studies and not spend any extra time on other volunteer work?

About the Ads

r_salis

SDN Supa-Mod Emmetrope
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2002
In a dark room
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
Originally posted by Superflyjsc
no outside work? really? I was hoping to put in some parttime hours of vounteer work as well tho cuase I dont have any health-care experience really as of now. Would u recommend that I just focus on my studies and not spend any extra time on other volunteer work?
Your plan sounds a lot like one of my summer sessions and regular semesters when I was taking my pre-reqs -- that's totally do-able, even with a little volunteer work thrown in during the fall. Summer sessions are so accelerated, though, that I would concentrate completely on academics then.

Good luck!

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
lonecoyote11.blogspot.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I think it is doable to do it, and to do well in the classes, as long as you manage your time well. One semester I signed up for O-Chem with lab, Biochem, Physics with lab, genetics with lab, and independent research for 2 units. What was I thinking!?! I ended up dropping genetics but got through the others okay. I was also volunteering about 8 hours/wk at a hospital. I just had to make every minute count and not procrastinate, which is hard for me.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
thanks so much for all ur encouragements! I was kinda skeptical at first at the possibility but now i feel much better. Yea summer will be kinda tight and I will be at school most of the day but i still would like to try and work at least 10 hours a week maybe on weekends only tho.

doc3341

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 22, 2004
Miami Fl
Status (Visible)
Thesummer is going to be tough. if I were you Id try to pull like 8 hours every two weeks. And then in the Fall, like 8 hrs a week of EC's. but watch out, the workload seems to always creep up on you when you least expext it. Keep the two weeks before midterms and finals free. thats my two cents.

scota

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2003
Los Angeles
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Hey Superflyjsc,

It seems your summer load is too ambitious! Gen. chem 1 and 2 are tough, and calculus is a pain! I'm doing gen. chem. 1 and 2 in the summer (no work and maybe 4 hrs. of volunteer work). Good luck...

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
Hum i was worried that my summer might be a lil tough. But my summer sessions are broken in 2 parts. First half of summer i will be taking Gen Chem 1 and lab, then next month i will be taking Gen Chem 2 and Calculus. Does this still sound like alot of work?
At the most, I will only have 2 classes to worry about each session so its not like i will be taking a Gen Chem class then going to lab then going to Calculus class all in same day for every week. Hum.. i dunno

Halcyon440

On the fence
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2003
New York
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
It sounds a little ambitious, but definitely doable. Again I'd echo what's already been said about not working.

I'll mention something I've heard on the OPM board: This is a marathon, not a race. Don't sacrifice good grades in order to get in one year earlier. In the long run, that won't matter as much.

Best wishes to you whatever you decide.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by harrypotter
Superflyjsc: I had a question. Why did you choose gchem for summer instead of physics? I'm trying to decide between the two but am unsure which is more doable.

Thanks! :D

Well, i choose Gen Chem for summer cuase I plan on taking Orgo Chem for the following fall and spring semesters. But before I can take Orgo Chem they required that I take Gen Chem first.

I think either or is both very doable for summer as long as u manage ur time wisely and productivly.

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
My 1st post bac summer I took Gen Chem 1 and 2 with lab and Calculus 1. The calculus course was spread out over 8 weeks and the chemistry sequences were 4 weeks each. I did not have a problem, thought I found the second semester of gen chem more challenging than the first and it got a bit harder to manage then. I had also taken calculus in high school so it was not totally new material for me, but it had been 5 years since I'd touched math at all. If you think you will struggle with the calculus you might want to either take it along with the 1st semester of g-chem or put it off. I got As in all the classes so it is doable as long as you manage your time.

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
hum, interesting. My summer schedule is exactly the same as u mentioned for yours. I am taking Gen Chem 1 and 2 with lab and calculus this summer. But the only difference is that my calculus course is spread out to be started when i start Gen Chem 1 and my calculus class will be officially over by the time i finish Gen Chem 2.
Im doing really great in pre-calculus, so im hoping that calculus wont be that much more difficult than im imagining it to be.

elvingomez

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2003
el monte, ca
Status (Visible)
are you trying to do all of your pre med in one year? im goin to try and do that, but i have no clue as to how it can be done, especially in a quarter system... what college does summer in 2 sessions? it's just a full summer quarter at mine(Cal State Univ Los Angeles)

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by elvingomez
are you trying to do all of your pre med in one year? im goin to try and do that, but i have no clue as to how it can be done, especially in a quarter system... what college does summer in 2 sessions? it's just a full summer quarter at mine(Cal State Univ Los Angeles)

Uhm, i dunno how other schools work but im sure its not much different than the school im going too which is rutgers. Their summer session is in 3 parts. And im taking my Gen Chem 1 with lab first session then Gen Chem 2 second session. And during both times, my calculus class is stretched out to cover both sessions so that my work load wont be too crazy. I think its very managable and im pretty confident I will be able to do really well.

LoneCoyote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2002
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Originally posted by elvingomez

Most semester schools have 2 or 3 summer sessions so it is possible to do a whole year of classes. I think it is virtually impossible on the quarter system. Maybe you could try another CSU like Long Beach or someplace that is on semesters.

smuwillobrien

15+ Year Member
Sep 6, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Hey Superfly. If it is any consolation here was my first semester:

English Composition, Physics I, Biology I, Calculus I, and Chemistry I.

All of these (with the exception of English) have a laboratory or recitation component. It's a lot of work, but it is definately do-able. I'm relatively stupid, and with a lot of elbow grease (to use a worn our cliche) I managed > 4.0 gpa.

Make a lot of time for studying, read the chapters, go to every lecture, do all the examples problems, and rock out. Good luck. :D

Superflyjsc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2004
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by smuwillobrien
Hey Superfly. If it is any consolation here was my first semester:

English Composition, Physics I, Biology I, Calculus I, and Chemistry I.

All of these (with the exception of English) have a laboratory or recitation component. It's a lot of work, but it is definately do-able. I'm relatively stupid, and with a lot of elbow grease (to use a worn our cliche) I managed > 4.0 gpa.

Make a lot of time for studying, read the chapters, go to every lecture, do all the examples problems, and rock out. Good luck. :D

Whats recitation? I actually have that too. From what i assumed i thought this was just like after class extra help with the teacher and was optional for the students.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.