Can TCOM see AACOMAS acceptances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

quickquestion2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
This is going to get extremely long, so I apologize in advance. I know that TCOM is a part of the TMDSAS application service due to its status as a TX state medical school, but it is technically also listed as an AACOM member, being an osteopathic medical school. I was wondering if TCOM has access to/utilizes the same post-May 15th data as the other AACOM schools in keeping track of applicants with past acceptances. I know that AMCAS schools can’t see AACOMAS data, but with TCOM being part of both TMDSAS and the AACOM, I wasn’t sure how it works out.

Basically, I applied through TMDSAS this cycle, and was unsuccessful in obtaining interviews. I then panicked and applied through AACOMAS in January, got a few interviews. I was waitlisted at KCU, and I have an upcoming interview at DMU. Most importantly, I was accepted recently to UIW in San Antonio, and I paid the deposit as I hadn’t heard back from any schools at that point.

However, I have finally received notice that I was accepted into the UNTHSC Medical Science Masters Program. Being that my parents both have health issues so I would much prefer to stay nearby just in case, and UIW tuition is insanely expensive (~55k/year), as well as it being a brand-new school with relatively lackluster curriculum structure and clinical rotation set-up, I am seriously considering going for the UNT Master’s option instead, as the program is well-respected within Texas by the state medical schools. I had a file review with TCOM, and the assistant dean of admissions strongly recommended me to do the UNT program, as my sGPA is lower, in order to prove I can handle the rigor of medical school. I believe my low sGPA, as well as applying later in the TMDSAS cycle (due to waiting on a rec letter) hurt my chances for consideration significantly.

If I don’t get accepted to either DMU or KCU, would it be absolutely crazy for me to withdraw from UIW and reapply through TMDSAS while doing the Master’s program at UNTHSC? And more importantly, would TCOM be able to see that I had previously paid a deposit to UIW and withdrawn my acceptance?

For reference, I’m a TX resident, 3.6+ cGPA, 3.4+ sGPA, 508 MCAT. If I could get any feedback/clarification from any osteopathic medical school adcoms, it would be highly appreciated, thank you.

Just wanted to clarify that I’m from the DFW area, which is why TCOM is closest for me and was/is my top choice.

@Goro any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I’m surprised you didn’t receive any TMDSAS interviews.

I have somewhat similar stats and received four TMDSAS interviews.

At any rate, no. TCOM cannot see acceptances offered via AACOMAS, just as Texas MD schools cannot see acceptances offered via AMCAS.

I’m surprised you didn’t receive any TMDSAS interviews.

I have somewhat similar stats and received four TMDSAS interviews.

At any rate, no. TCOM cannot see acceptances offered via AACOMAS, just as Texas MD schools cannot see acceptances offered via AMCAS.

I think it's because I applied quite late in the cycle, and my stats are average at best. I was waiting on a recommendation letter from my summer research project PI, which in hindsight was a really stupid decision on my part.

So does that mean (if I didn't hear back from DMU or KCU with any acceptances) that I could technically withdraw my acceptance from UIW even after having already paid the deposit and still reapply through TMDSAS with none of the Texan schools knowing about my past AACOMAS acceptance?

I do recall that there is a section on TMDSAS that asks if you've ever applied to any non-TMDSAS schools before so I wonder how they verify/track that...or whether it's more of an honor code system where they just expect applicants to exhibit integrity and be truthful.

Hi - sorry to dig this thread up. I private messaged you because I’m in exactly the same situation you’re in - debating between UIW acceptance and UNT SMP, and I was wondering what you ended up doing. I would appreciate any advice if possible. Thanks so much!
This is going to get extremely long, so I apologize in advance. I know that TCOM is a part of the TMDSAS application service due to its status as a TX state medical school, but it is technically also listed as an AACOM member, being an osteopathic medical school. I was wondering if TCOM has access to/utilizes the same post-May 15th data as the other AACOM schools in keeping track of applicants with past acceptances. I know that AMCAS schools can’t see AACOMAS data, but with TCOM being part of both TMDSAS and the AACOM, I wasn’t sure how it works out.

Basically, I applied through TMDSAS this cycle, and was unsuccessful in obtaining interviews. I then panicked and applied through AACOMAS in January, got a few interviews. I was waitlisted at KCU, and I have an upcoming interview at DMU. Most importantly, I was accepted recently to UIW in San Antonio, and I paid the deposit as I hadn’t heard back from any schools at that point.

However, I have finally received notice that I was accepted into the UNTHSC Medical Science Masters Program. Being that my parents both have health issues so I would much prefer to stay nearby just in case, and UIW tuition is insanely expensive (~55k/year), as well as it being a brand-new school with relatively lackluster curriculum structure and clinical rotation set-up, I am seriously considering going for the UNT Master’s option instead, as the program is well-respected within Texas by the state medical schools. I had a file review with TCOM, and the assistant dean of admissions strongly recommended me to do the UNT program, as my sGPA is lower, in order to prove I can handle the rigor of medical school. I believe my low sGPA, as well as applying later in the TMDSAS cycle (due to waiting on a rec letter) hurt my chances for consideration significantly.

If I don’t get accepted to either DMU or KCU, would it be absolutely crazy for me to withdraw from UIW and reapply through TMDSAS while doing the Master’s program at UNTHSC? And more importantly, would TCOM be able to see that I had previously paid a deposit to UIW and withdrawn my acceptance?

For reference, I’m a TX resident, 3.6+ cGPA, 3.4+ sGPA, 508 MCAT. If I could get any feedback/clarification from any osteopathic medical school adcoms, it would be highly appreciated, thank you.

Just wanted to clarify that I’m from the DFW area, which is why TCOM is closest for me and was/is my top choice.

@Goro any insight would be greatly appreciated, thank you!