Can the FM shelf exam be studied for entirely with internal med books?

PokerDoc

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Was thinking about just getting step-up to medicine and IM case files along with FM case files and leaving it at that. Would that be okay along with pretest?

kryptik

10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i did use im books for my family shelf and did fine. also skim over the peds section in step up or FA if you have the time

OP
P

PokerDoc

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
i did use im books for my family shelf and did fine. also skim over the peds section in step up or FA if you have the time
got 4 weeks off before the rotation starts, and i'll probably do no reading in that time lol.. but maybe a little

kdburton

Ulnar Deviant
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Sep 3, 2005
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Was thinking about just getting step-up to medicine and IM case files along with FM case files and leaving it at that. Would that be okay along with pretest?
I used Case files for FM and the AAFP practice questions (which are free) and did more than "okay" on the exam.

cpants

10+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
The vast majority of the material will be covered in the I'M books, but you will need to look over some peds and ob basics too.

2012mdc

Enjoying the Dark Side
5+ Year Member
Mar 9, 2010
Status
Resident [Any Field]
FM was my 2nd rotation after Surgery so I admittedly did not put a lot effort into it but it still turned out ok (85, 93rd percentile)

I did all of the pre-test questions. Read the Amb section of Step Up to Medicine. Read maybe half of case files with focus on the really common things as well as peds and ob b/c I hadn't had those rotations yet. I felt that the pre-test questions were very relevant and on my shelf some questions were essential repeats (ex - DOC for pasteurella)

The shelf was not bad at all but it also depends on what rotations you've had before FM. If you have taken Surgery or IM before FM you don't have to put in too much effort to do reasonably well. If you are shooting for a raw score of 90+ you may actually want to finish Case Files :thumbup:

OP
P

PokerDoc

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
Luckily, I just finished peds, so I think I'll be fine there. I'll just read up on OBGYN a little bit.

thanks guys

Dirt

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jun 18, 2008
From the earth.
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Vast majority is medicine, some peds, some OB/Gyn, and some basic Psych as well. I had a few questions depression and one or two on anti-psychotics/schizophrenia.

OP
P

PokerDoc

10+ Year Member
Feb 7, 2008
Status
Medical Student
So, is step-up to medicine, case files for family med, pretest family med and the online questions more than enough?

DrBowtie

Final Countdown
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Feb 24, 2005
Classyville
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Anyone know if the AAFP questions in the "mixed review" sections are new or just jumbled from the other sections?