Can the FM shelf exam be studied for entirely with internal med books?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PokerDoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was thinking about just getting step-up to medicine and IM case files along with FM case files and leaving it at that. Would that be okay along with pretest?

Members don't see this ad.

i did use im books for my family shelf and did fine. also skim over the peds section in step up or FA if you have the time

i did use im books for my family shelf and did fine. also skim over the peds section in step up or FA if you have the time

got 4 weeks off before the rotation starts, and i'll probably do no reading in that time lol.. but maybe a little

Members don't see this ad :)
Was thinking about just getting step-up to medicine and IM case files along with FM case files and leaving it at that. Would that be okay along with pretest?

I used Case files for FM and the AAFP practice questions (which are free) and did more than "okay" on the exam.

The vast majority of the material will be covered in the I'M books, but you will need to look over some peds and ob basics too.

FM was my 2nd rotation after Surgery so I admittedly did not put a lot effort into it but it still turned out ok (85, 93rd percentile)

I did all of the pre-test questions. Read the Amb section of Step Up to Medicine. Read maybe half of case files with focus on the really common things as well as peds and ob b/c I hadn't had those rotations yet. I felt that the pre-test questions were very relevant and on my shelf some questions were essential repeats (ex - DOC for pasteurella)

The shelf was not bad at all but it also depends on what rotations you've had before FM. If you have taken Surgery or IM before FM you don't have to put in too much effort to do reasonably well. If you are shooting for a raw score of 90+ you may actually want to finish Case Files :thumbup:

Luckily, I just finished peds, so I think I'll be fine there. I'll just read up on OBGYN a little bit.

thanks guys

Vast majority is medicine, some peds, some OB/Gyn, and some basic Psych as well. I had a few questions depression and one or two on anti-psychotics/schizophrenia.

So, is step-up to medicine, case files for family med, pretest family med and the online questions more than enough?