Can the program know where you ranked them last year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

one11

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to the match last year and did not match. I got an interview from a place that I interviewed with last year, I ranked that program 3rd in my rank list year. Does the program know where I ranked them after the match results given the fact that I did not match?

Members don't see this ad.

I applied to the match last year and did not match. I got an interview from a place that I interviewed with last year, I ranked that program 3rd in my rank list year. Does the program know where I ranked them after the match results given the fact that I did not match?
No.

Reactions: 3 users
No. But presumably if you didn't match anywhere, they didn't rank you all that high either. I wouldn't have applied again to the same place, but what do I know?

No. But presumably if you didn't match anywhere, they didn't rank you all that high either. I wouldn't have applied again to the same place, but what do I know?
To be fair though, programs are always guessing how deep in their rank lists they will go. I've seen years where programs got the top people they ranked and years where people ranked in the 40-50s out of 100 got spots. So a program could have liked OP just fine but done better at the top of their list than usual. If they put him at a level that could very well match, but didn't, they still may have thought highly of him. There's just always someone better.

To be honest, when I ranked the program last year as 3rd in my list its because I had to, basically I was totally fine with all my first three choices, they were all my top choice. Im an IMG and worked really hard this year to match (publications+ more clinical experience and way better LORs than last year, average scores though). When I got the interview from the same place I was really excited, since they won't invite me for the second time unless they noted something different about my application that they like. I really liked the place from last year and I am thinking about telling the PD during my interview that I really LOVED their program and I ranked them as my top choice last year, I just want to make it clear that I really want to be a part of their program, does this seem awkward?

To be honest, when I ranked the program last year as 3rd in my list its because I had to, basically I was totally fine with all my first three choices, they were all my top choice. Im an IMG and worked really hard this year to match (publications+ more clinical experience and way better LORs than last year, average scores though). When I got the interview from the same place I was really excited, since they won't invite me for the second time unless they noted something different about my application that they like. I really liked the place from last year and I am thinking about telling the PD during my interview that I really LOVED their program and I ranked them as my top choice last year, I just want to make it clear that I really want to be a part of their program, does this seem awkward?
hmm...because you think they won't know you ranked them 3rd on your ROL, you now think it would be ok to lie to them?

they didn't rank you last year...what make you think they will rank you this year?

hmm...because you think they won't know you ranked them 3rd on your ROL, you now think it would be ok to lie to them?

they didn't rank you last year...what make you think they will rank you this year?

If the program filled, they may have ranked the OP -- just below their last match.

To the OP -- I'm not a fan of lying. You didn't rank them #1 last year, so don't say that even though there's no way of them finding out and it seems harmless. If you're going to rank them #1 this year, then that's something safe to say.

Reactions: 1 users
If the program filled, they may have ranked the OP -- just below their last match.

To the OP -- I'm not a fan of lying. You didn't rank them #1 last year, so don't say that even though there's no way of them finding out and it seems harmless. If you're going to rank them #1 this year, then that's something safe to say.

true...i don't know why i thought the program went unfilled...reread the OP 1st post and realized that he made no mention of that...