Can we force old pathologists to retire??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tamahawk

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Being a California native, I was considering writing a ballot proposition mandating that all pathologists over the age of 70 be forced into retirement so that I can get a job!

:naughty:

:thumbdown:

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I believe BU's studies (about the supposed shortage) said pathologists all retire by 65. Its a real study with real data. It must be true. So your legislation isn't needed...obviously. Once again look at the real study with real data.

I believe BU's studies (about the supposed shortage) said pathologists all retire by 65. Its a real study with real data. It must be true. So your legislation isn't needed...obviously. Once again look at the real study with real data.

Why don't you just go away. That study said nothing of the sort. It might have said the average age of retirement is 65 (I have no idea if this is correct) but it most certainly did not say that all pathologists retire by 65. Your idiotic and uninformed comments are doing everyone on this forum a disservice, most specifically those who agree with a lot of the points you are pathetically trying to make (the job market is not good, there are too many programs, etc). It's almost like you're some kind of plant trying to make your arguments look so ridiculous that no one seriously listens to them.

Back to the OP though, there probably are hospitals or practices that have a mandated retirement age. Probably others that don't necessarily mandate it but make continuing to practice less and less profitable - having people check your work, giving up salary to support this, increasing malpractice insurance.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure path24 was being sarcastic.

Being a California native, I was considering writing a ballot proposition mandating that all pathologists over the age of 70 be forced into retirement so that I can get a job!

:naughty:

:thumbdown:

maybe we should just force you young tyros who don't know what they are doing to depart the field. after 30+ years I could probably do a better job with a Hasbro hobby scope than you and most of your peers. (tongue-in-cheek to some extent)

It really doesnt matter tbh. The problem is far far bigger than just this.

I do know of one lab which specified in the pathologists' contracts that they had to leave the practice at a specified age. I don't recall exactly what the age cutoff was (maybe 65 or 70?). Instead of retiring, the individual I know of who was affected by this stipulation just went to work for an academic center in that area.

many pathologists have DNR (Do Not Retire) orders in place

I know of a big group in town who has "mandatory retirement at 65." However, I think they only mean retiring from the daily work of looking at slides. I think the older guys are still involved in the business after age 65. At least this was the impression I got.

maybe we should just force you young tyros who don't know what they are doing to depart the field. after 30+ years I could probably do a better job with a Hasbro hobby scope than you and most of your peers. (tongue-in-cheek to some extent)
Unfortunately most of the paths don’t retire till forced.
I agree there should be mandatory retirement at 65 from patient care jobs.
I believe pathology community and the society (most of all patients) will be better served with this proposal.

Come on, 65? Some of us will have barely finished MD-PhD-residency-2 fellowship training by then. 65 is really not very old, especially for pathology.

Come on, 65? Some of us will have barely finished MD-PhD-residency-2 fellowship training by then. 65 is really not very old, especially for pathology.

Agree. Several partners in my practice are over 65 and signing out a full load, taking call, etc. And with that kind of experience they are a huge asset in terms of their knowledge base.

Some pathologists in NY city are 80 and above.

Unfortunately most of the paths don't retire till forced.
I agree there should be mandatory retirement at 65 from patient care jobs.
I believe pathology community and the society (most of all patients) will be better served with this proposal.

I couldn't disagree more. People with less than five years experience are infinitely more dangerous than a pathologist with 35 years experience who has seen all the pitfalls. By your reasoning new recruits should be forced to work underneath a master 65-75 year old pathologist for a few years out of training if you care about patients

No one should ever be forced to retire because of age. What I dont get is why the hell people wanna work that long. I'm done with the crap in my upper 40s and moving on. Sitting at a scope all day is no way to make a living, wrecks your back. Make your money and GTFO.

No one should ever be forced to retire because of age. What I dont get is why the hell people wanna work that long. I'm done with the crap in my upper 40s and moving on. Sitting at a scope all day is no way to make a living, wrecks your back. Make your money and GTFO.

Yeah but they should be forced to retire due to waning skills or unwillingness to do the job.

There aren't too many pathologists still practicing at 75 who are at the top of their game and still taking call just like everyone else.