Can we take a vote to delete the Caribbean forum?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LM75

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Any chance we can take a vote to delete this part of SDN?

Let's be honest, there isn't any good information on the Caribbean threads, the threads are all biased and full of nonsense, all of these threads eventually turn into loser arguments that go ON AND ON AND ON about nothing, and I don't think any of this is beneficial to anyone.

I mean I've been reading these threads for a year now and I'm still going to St. George's in the spring so obviously the Caribbean haters that infest this forum aren't working hard enough.

Can I suggest we do away with the Caribbean forum altogether and instead have a thread for CURRENT Caribbean medical students only? I mean there is a difference between a current medical student and somone who is a pre-med who knows nothing about medical school. That should prove to be more useful than the "prospective student" Caribbean forum that exists now as it is loaded, like I said, with bias and posts from many users who obviously have no idea what they are talking about.

Just trying to make SDN a little more useful for some of us who actually come here for real advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wishful thinking. Not going to happen considering how people LOVE to bash Caribbean students/pre-meds. As long as you're aware of what you're getting yourself into, I think it can be a very good option (if you stick to SGU or ROSS). But the main reason this sub-forum exists is to provide information from every angle. As annoying as it can be with the negative attitudes and end of the world thinking about Caribb schools, it's good for students thinking about going there to have all the info in their toolbox beforehand. Imagine if you hadn't read all the negative comments/ warnings before making your decision? At least now you're somewhat aware of the difficulties/struggles that you might be presented with.

Tldr; dont let the negativity get you down, take every post with a grain of salt and use the (potentially) informative bits to your advantage :)

Reactions: 3 users
Wishful thinking. Not going to happen considering how people LOVE to bash Caribbean students/pre-meds. As long as you're aware of what you're getting yourself into, I think it can be a very good option (if you stick to SGU or ROSS). But the main reason this sub-forum exists is to provide information from every angle. As annoying as it can be with the negative attitudes and end of the world thinking about Caribb schools, it's good for students thinking about going there to have all the info in their toolbox beforehand. Imagine if you hadn't read all the negative comments/ warnings before making your decision? At least now you're somewhat aware of the difficulties/struggles that you might be presented with.

Tldr; dont let the negativity get you down, take every post with a grain of salt and use the (potentially) informative bits to your advantage :)

I might be in the minority but I got the information I used to make my decision to attend St. George's from SGU graduates and current students. They told me what to expect going down this route and I trust their advice more than anything posted here because you can't verify who any of these people are. I mean some of these people have tens of thousands of posts. You can't be a "physician" and post on SDN that many times. I go to school full-time and work part-time and I barely have an hour to go online for anything.

I just feel that this part of SDN is a waste of time and needs a revamp. It is helping nobody whether the powers that be realize it or not. Students are still applying to the Caribbean regardless. I went to an SGU open-house or whatever you call it and the hotel room was packed.

A Caribbean Medical Student subforum for at least the top schools would help a lot more people out and would actually be productive. Then again, I doubt medical students would have a chance to be going online.

Members don't see this ad :)
I disagree

I see AMGs and FMGs alike join together to hate on Caribbean schools (with good reason)

Plenty of pre-meds read the doom and gloom and are rightly dissuaded

After you start at SGU you're gonna look around and be like, how the eff did these dummies get in?

If you don't, you're the dummy

1/2 the people down there could have been saved by reading the warnings of "haters"

3rd-year student feel free to AMA DM
Exactly what I'm trying to say. There's good and bad to this sub-forum. You can't just go ahead and say that ALL of the information here is inaccurate or non-important.

I just feel that this part of SDN is a waste of time and needs a revamp. It is helping nobody whether the powers that be realize it or not. Students are still applying to the Caribbean regardless. I went to an SGU open-house or whatever you call it and the hotel room was packed.

At the same time you also can't believe everything that you hear from a info panel. It IS a for-profit institution and regardless they are going to tell you what you want to hear. Yes it is important to gather info from other current/graduated students. All-in-all do your own research (talking to whoever is reading this outside this convo) and talk to as many people who have gone through the process as possible. I've messaged quite a few SGU students on instagram to get their take on school there, just an idea of how to reach out :)

I disagree

After you start at SGU you're gonna look around and be like, how the eff did these dummies get in?

This is a such a superficial, naive, and dismissive view of people. I hope that by the time you're practicing medicine autonomously you have a more nuanced and complex view of your fellow humans. You're perpetuating a woefully outdated archetype of a physician.

I graduated from SGU and am now a successful resident, and I can assure you via firsthand account, that this was not at all an accurate representation of the student body while I was there.

It's hilarious, the OP starts a thread about deleting this forum because all arguments eventually turn into arguments that go on and on and on about nothing...and it's already, after a few responses, turning into yet another thread that will go on and on and on about nothing.

Reactions: 3 users
It's hilarious, the OP starts a thread about deleting this forum because all arguments eventually turn into arguments that go on and on and on about nothing...and it's already, after a few responses, turning into yet another thread that will go on and on and on about nothing.

Yes, unfortunately.

Oh well I tried.

Bye now.

Very much like if you don't like what's on change the channel, how about just don't click on it if it's such a waste of time.

Very much like if you don't like what's on change the channel, how about just don't click on it if it's such a waste of time.

The threads are ALL garbage; that's why I made the suggestion to delete the whole Caribbean forum. If they were somewhat useful than sure not-clicking on specific threads would certainly be an option.

There is no problem

The pre-meds that can handle it will read and learn

With people like you infesting this forum, NOBODY will learn. Hopefully the people that run this site will take a hint. Nobody is listening to your advice, people are still applying to the Caribbean in record numbers. Your best bet is to find a way to accommodate those students who do matriculate into these schools.

Telling someone not to become a doctor will fall on deaf ears.

Edit: Haha just noticed that someone had posted it before me. But yea this is a great example why it's helpful to consider all your options, and understand what you're getting yourself into.

The school in question is Ross University. You can look at their handbook and see that they follow that policy as described in that post. I did my due diligence and actually read their handbook and decided not to apply there.

You can't take one school's policy and then knock the whole Caribbean system just because one school does something differently than another.

This is a classic example of the garbage I was describing. Do you know for a fact that other schools set passing scores in the same manner?

Members don't see this ad :)
The school in question is Ross University. You can look at their handbook and see that they follow that policy as described in that post. I did my due diligence and actually read their handbook and decided not to apply there.

You can't take one school's policy and then knock the whole Caribbean system just because one school does something differently than another.

This is a classic example of the garbage I was describing. Do you know for a fact that other schools set passing scores in the same manner?

I'm glad you also see that just because one school does something a certain way, it doesn't mean that all the other schools are the same. This just goes to show the narrowmindedness of sdn.

AUC also raised their passing 4 pts for shelves starting January

Comp has been raised 2 points recently and they have said this trend will continue

Not sure what narrowmindedness you are talking about

These are facts reported by students (like me) that are actually at the school

How is that not helpful?

It's not helpful because if you go to AUC then you should know AUC and Ross are owned by Adtalem Global Education and you should be able to include that vital piece of information. Just like Saba, MUA, and St. Matthews are owned by R3.

So when someone is talking about going to SGU, an example of narrowmindedness would be when someone like you says ...
AUC also raised their passing 4 pts for shelves starting January

Comp has been raised 2 points recently and they have said this trend will continue

How AUC and SGU are related is beyond me but if you feel that a discussion about SGU immediately warrants a discussion about AUC policies, then please enlighten us.

I disagree

I see AMGs and FMGs alike join together to hate on Caribbean schools (with good reason)

Plenty of pre-meds read the doom and gloom and are rightly dissuaded

1/2 the people down there could have been saved by reading the warnings of "haters"

3rd-year student feel free to AMA DM

Currently at SGU and I would never consider a classmate a "dummy." Some are just not prepared, yes there are some of them but they get weeded out the first term. There are quite a few students here, some whom I am very close with that should of been at a top US med school. They're brilliant and get almost 100 on their exams, which is highly admirable. There's a ton of students here that just didn't make the cut at US med schools, for whatever reason it may be, and could easily succeed at a US med school. SGU gives you the opportunity and you just have to do well, that's all.

Currently at SGU and I would never consider a classmate a "dummy." Some are just not prepared, yes there are some of them but they get weeded out the first term. There are quite a few students here, some whom I am very close with that should of been at a top US med school. They're brilliant and get almost 100 on their exams, which is highly admirable. There's a ton of students here that just didn't make the cut at US med schools, for whatever reason it may be, and could easily succeed at a US med school. SGU gives you the opportunity and you just have to do well, that's all.

Some people will simply refuse to accept that for no reason. I really don't know why but they just will.

Haha I'm assuming you are first/second semester, just give it some time

Ah, I always love these thinly-veiled ad hominem attacks. What about those of us that made it through? Do I have to wait until I'm an attending to weigh in? A program director maybe? A department chair? When exactly do I rise to your standard to adequately dissent? At some point your arguments wear thin.

It seems foreign to you that people can have rationalized opinions and validated experiences that differ from your own. If you had a bad experience, that's fine. This is a good place to air your grievances. Maybe in doing so, you'll help divert somebody from a path with which you seem so intensely dissatisfied. Some of us really cherish our experiences in the Caribbean, though. Just speaking personally, I found it an incredibly informative and enriching experience. Is it for everybody? Of course not. Is it for no one? Of course not.

Last edited:
Haha I'm assuming you are first/second semester, just give it some time

I'm not a first term student, i've been here some time. I do not judge anyone here, contrary to what it seems like you do/did. Everyone is on a different level here. I've personally had a great experience so far at SGU and have not had any troubles. It seems like you may have had some problems at SGU and were perhaps one of those that struggled.

Ah, I always love these thinly-veiled ad hominem attacks. What about those of us that made it through? Do I have to wait until I'm an attending to weigh in? A program director maybe? A department chair? When exactly do I rise to your standard to adequately dissent? At some point your arguments wear thin.

It seems foreign to you that people can have rationalized opinions and validated experiences that differ from your own. If you had a bad experience, that's fine. This is a good place to air your grievances. Maybe in doing so, you'll help divert somebody from a path with which you seem so intensely dissatisfied. Some of us really cherish our experiences in the Caribbean, though. Just speaking personally, I found it an incredibly informative and enriching experience. Is it for everybody? Of course not. Is it for no one? Of course not.

There's a thread on here from maybe a few months ago where some of these guys were saying SGU's match list was not really a real match list and most of the people who were listed as matched were not really matched because "match" doesn't really mean matched and it could mean almost anything else, the least of which is a residency. Yeah, I couldn't figure it out either.

My guess is 99.5% of the people that post about the Caribbean on this forum have no idea what they are talking about. All the more reason to get this sub-forum closed. The SDN Caribbean forum is the "fake news" of pre-med forums.

Any chance we can take a vote to delete this part of SDN?

No.

All the more reason to get this sub-forum closed. The SDN Caribbean forum is the "fake news" of pre-med forums.

Ah... lemme guess... this is the latest iteration of the Caribpro/aformerstudent-bot™.

-Skip

No.

Ah... lemme guess... this is the latest iteration of the Caribpro/aformerstudent-bot™.

-Skip

Actually, you were one of the people who I was referencing initially lol.

I think you've been out of school too long to be offering advice regarding these schools as they exist today. What worked for you then probably would not work today. Unless of course you are still connected to the Saba program and you know something that we don't know in which case then your advice would be valid. But you haven't stated that.

I think you've been out of school too long to be offering advice regarding these schools as they exist today.

You come here under different sockpuppets and continually regurgitate the same message. Now, you start a thread trying to get entire subforum deleted. :lol:

You're just simply and repeatedly embarrassing yourself, Caribpro/aformerstudent-bot™. The majority of people reading your posts find them simultaneously unhelpful and pointless. Very few, if any, actually care what you think.

-Skip

You come here under different sockpuppets and continually regurgitate the same message. Now, you start a thread trying to get entire subforum deleted. :lol:

You're just simply and repeatedly embarrassing yourself, Caribpro/aformerstudent-bot™. The majority of people reading your posts find them simultaneously unhelpful and pointless. Very few, if any, actually care what you think.

-Skip

What you said made no sense at all.

As a ahem "medical professional," can you describe what causes you to want to leave treating patients and come onto an anonymous forum and start arguments with people who are "not in school?"

Seems like bad judgment or simply having your priorities mixed up to me.

So, why would anyone take your advice?

I don't go to SGU and no I haven't struggled

This thread is about the Carribean schools not just SGU, although according to their students I know, it's the exact same

SGU matches like 60 % of the kids they start with, so yea, a lot of people they admit shouldn't be there, not news to anyone else besides this thread

Exactly, you don't go to SGU, so why comment on it like you have first hand experience?? I'm sitting in my room on campus at SGU right now. You are not worth responding to.

Exactly, you don't go to SGU, so why comment on it like you have first hand experience?? I'm sitting in my room on campus at SGU right now. You are not worth responding to.

That person certainly doesn't act like a "medical student." I have no idea why they were even responding to this thread.

Change the title of your forum to one more appropriate to your thread. Just sayin'