Can you accept to a school and withdraw your application at a later date?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

osugirl2021

Full Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I have deadline tomorrow for a program deposit that cannot be extended. I am still waiting for other interviews in November. Can I accept to schools/pay deposits for now and withdraw later on if I get accepted into my top choice school a few months from now? Does anyone know any consequences of this? I am struggling with what I should do.
 
Yes, you can. It is not uncommon for people to have multiple deposits, as they may not be sure which school they want to attend. I agree with the above, some schools offer a partial refund but others do not. I think in March all schools can see where you have deposited so you'll have to make a decision then...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I agree with what Preopt2021 said plus you have actually until May 1 to make a final decision even though the schools find out about your multiple deposits March 1. I 'm not sure how the schools deal with someone after March 1 though. I m in the same predicament !