can you apply to allop. and osteop. simultaneously???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

scrupulousdoc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I was wondering if one can apply to osteopathic and allopathic schools simultaneously? I have heard that you shouldn't apply to med and dent. schools at the same time? How right is this?
Will be waiting for your reply
smile.gif

Later!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can apply to both. But schools sometimes will ask you during interview where else have you applied. And Osteopathic schools will sometimes ask you "why do you want to go into Osteopathic medicine". My point being that telling you are applying to both might make it seem you are just applying everywhere, to increase you chances of getting in somewhere. Which may be the case, but try and make the school feel like they are your FIRST choice.

hey Billie,
I see what you mean! So, do you tell them that you have applied to other schools or you just don't tell them. In my case, I applied to allopathic and then found out about osteo. I had no clue about it until my highschool teacher told me. My premed advisor didn't give us any info on osteop. schools! So, that's my story. what is you suggestion? should I just tell them what I have mentioned here? lemme know!
later!

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know what to tell you, but I will tell you what I was advised at my school. We were told that the admissions committee can find out if you have applied to other schools (how, I don't know). But that we should be truthful and say yes, if we had, as it would look very bad if we lied and said no.

But I did not follow this advice and and when they asked me if I had applied anywhere else, I looked them straight in the eye and said no. I got accepted, so whether they knew the truth or not, it did not hurt me.

That is my 2 cents for what it is worth....

Billie

Dude, I interviewed at four MD schools and one DO school, and got into four of them (I start at Cincy in four weeks!). Here's the deal: I'd guess that about 99 out of 100 applicants to DO schools also applied to MD schools. The DO schools know this, they expect this, and they don't care. Yes, you WILL be asked why you are interested in osteopathic medicine. And be prepared with an answer other than "I didn't get into any MD schools." I think you should be totaly honest. Tell them you were unaware of the existance of DO schools, and that you have come to understand their philosophy, and you like what you see. I suggest doing some research into osteopathic medicine, because they will see through your BS if you have no idea what a DO is. Also, they are fond of questions like: "What would you do if a Patient said to you 'I don't want to be seen by a DO, bring me an MD!'"

As far as MD schools go, none of them said a thing about my applying to a DO school. I am almost positive that they have no way of finding out that fact. If you are asked in an interview, BE HONEST! The worst thing you could possibly do is get caught in a lie.
Good Luck,

I applied to both DO and MD and as for my experience it never even came up as an issue. I was asked where else I applied but there wasn't any negative comments by MD's or DO's. I think they know how competitive the whole process is and can appreciate you trying to maximize your chances of getting in. When asked where I would attend if I was accepted into both I said I would go to the one that best suited me regardless of the degree offered (meaning that the school granting the degree was more important than the letters behind my name).