Which away rotation to apply for?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PathNeuroIMorFM

Reaction score
VSLO is about to open up and I'd like some advice for which aways I should prioritize applying for. Home state of Idaho, at a mid-tier (top 60, probably) MD school on the East Coast, trying to break into Western programs. I took a research year in my specialty of choice and happy with my output, but nowhere near the amount/quality of publications a PhD would have. Idaho does not have any programs in my specialty of choice.

Based on how my 4th year is structured, there is no way to get both aways before ERAS is submitted.

Program A:
Highly competitive academic residency. Primarily MD-PhDs, MD-MPHs, DO-PhD, top 20 med school graduates. Heavy research background on all residents.
Not technically in-state, but in-region.
Would probably rank highly (top 2) if I got an interview here.
Reason for choosing this program: Better training, better pay/benefits.

Program B:
Mid competitive academic residency. Some DOs, Few IMGs. No MD-PhDs.
Not in-region, but have family ties (aunts, uncles, cousins).
Would probably rank very highly (top 3) if I got an interview here.
Reason for choosing this program: Preferred location I want to permanently live in, still has great fellowship match/options, spouse likes this area significantly more.

What would you choose? Or should I try and do aways at both, one before ERAS and one after ERAS?

Members don't see this ad.

Are you trying to get a letter from either program?
Unlikely. I should have more than enough letters from my home institution before ERAS goes out. Maybe program A if I decided to do the away there.

Feel like you should do both. Especially if you know that they give interviews to rotating students.
When would be the best time to do the second away? I was told doing aways after ERAS/during interview season is not recommended because taking days off to interview does not look good to the away program.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unlikely. I should have more than enough letters from my home institution before ERAS goes out. Maybe program A if I decided to do the away there.

When would be the best time to do the second away? I was told doing aways after ERAS/during interview season is not recommended because taking days off to interview does not look good to the away program.
Do the away at Program A first, before ERAS.

Find out when peak interview season is for your specialty. Don't schedule Program B during that time.

Reactions: 1 users
If you can only do one rotation, I would chose the one that you can match to with your stats. Program A, if it is the one I am thinking of in the west (majority of their residents are MD-Phd with research up the ying yang and top med school) is extremely competitive to match. It may even be difficult to secure a rotation there without connections like an email/call from your PD or department chair. Top/highly competitve programs will not grant interviews to every rotator. They will tell you that if you are accepted to rotate there. I am assuming you are applying for a competitive specialty because you did a research year.

Edit: I would also recommend you do a sub-i at your home program first before rotating to a highly competituve away program.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Edit: I would also recommend you do a sub-i at your home program first before rotating to a highly competituve away program.
For sure. That's why I only have time to do one away before ERAS. There are two strong sub-is at my home institution that will secure great letters and great training for aways.

Reactions: 1 user

find out when interviews are for your specialty. If there’s A gap in between ERAS and interviews you can do it then.

If you're not intending to get an LOR, then why are you doing aways? For the competitive specialties that "require" aways it would almost be necessary to get an LOR from outside your institution. Given that you are from Idaho and that you can region/program signal through ERAS, I'm not sure that doing an away is really necessary--it would be readily apparent to me that you probably want to head back west. Unfortunately, that is true of a lot of applicants in your shoes, so IF you decide to do it I would definitely try to get a letter.

Letter from Program A would likely be more highly regarded, but simply having any letter from outside your home institution would likely help. And FWIW, I would not sleep on the fact that program B is in the area that you ultimately want to wind up in, as they will likely have more useful contacts for finding a job post-training.