Can you apply to both Med & Optometry Schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TravisP

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would the schools know that you applied to both Optometry and Med schools? Is it a bad idea?

Members don't see this ad.

Why would you want to? They are totally different fields. If you want to be a doctor and go into opthamology, go to med school. If you want to be an optometrist, go to optometry school.

I would not go as far as saying they are totally different fields, but I understand what you are saying.

You can apply to both and the only way the schools will know is if you tell them. I have some freinds in my class that applied to both, got into both, and choose optometry. I had friends in undergrad that did the samething and chose medical school. You can always say "Don't put all your eggs in one basket." I guess I'm saying it won't hurt to spread your luck and chose which you really want when the time comes.

Good luck

Members don't see this ad :)
TravisP said:
Would the schools know that you applied to both Optometry and Med schools? Is it a bad idea?
Some schools ask in their application form if you have applied to any other health care school.

J.opt said:
Some schools ask in their application form if you have applied to any other health care school.

If you said no, would they ever find out?

TravisP said:
If you said no, would they ever find out?
Probably not.

There is no secret society of healthcare admission people that get together and cross-check names. I would not worry about it.

rpames said:
There is no secret society of healthcare admission people that get together and cross-check names. I would not worry about it.

Everyone's pretty much dead on. I just went through this as I applied to Optometry and Medical (DO) schools. I found it best to just not tell them. If Optometry schools know you are applying to Med schools they will ask the same question, why, and they may get the idea that they are a "back up" plan, which they may or may not be. For me I just couldn't decided, so I finally applied to both, and hoped faith or fate would guide me. No such luck on that plan either.

When posed with the question of telling them or not on the application, I truly pined. I eventually decided not to tell them, its your business. I don't think they really have the right to know.

However, if you do decide to apply to both, I would be carefull on how many schools you apply to. The process is grueling and time consuming. Apply to the schools you want to go to, but don't over apply, you may spread energy too thin and not get anywhere with any of the schools. I recommend 5-10 total. I applied to 5 DO's, and 4 OD's. Interviewed at 5 schools, accepted to three and then stopped the process. But I know other candidates that applied to 20 schools and they have not been accepted anywhere.

After a very difficult decision process I decided to go med school, but it's right for me. Just be sure your not applying to med schools to feed your ego, make sure you truly want to be a medical doctor.

ok enough of my babble.