msimonsen

10+ Year Member
Dec 27, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
My question is simple, can you be a color blind medical doctor? I want to try my hand in everything, surgery, internal med, etc... I just want to know if being color blind is a disqualification in any way.

Rzarecta

Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
My question is simple, can you be a color blind medical doctor? I want to try my hand in everything, surgery, internal med, etc... I just want to know if being color blind is a disqualification in any way.
I have no less than 3 classmates who are red-green colorblind. So, the answer is yes.

About the Ads

ar2388

rads resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i dont think you will encounter much green in the human body :) so red/green is not a big deal i think.

what kind of colorblindness do you have?

fizzle

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I was just thinking...red/green color-blindedness would suck if you were a biologist, since so many procedures involving fluorescence depend on the colors red and green :p

Rzarecta

Premed 2: Electric Bugalo
10+ Year Member
Oct 6, 2004
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i dont think you will encounter much green in the human body :) so red/green is not a big deal i think.

what kind of colorblindness do you have?
Was just assuming OP has a more common "color blindness" vs extremely rare variants (total color blindness, etc).

Also, wait until you see the gallbladder ;)

dw2158

10+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Am I the only one who thought, based on the title of the thread, that this would be a discussion about URMs and adcoms? (I know, I'm horrible)

About the Ads