Can you be fired for political activism outside of work?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We had governments for thousands of years before income taxes. We had roads too. There are better ways of funding government than by taking private property by force. Value-added taxes, trade tariffs, user fees and services would all be a lot more fair.

The main reason we fund with income taxes is because it meets with the left wing's need for social justice and wealth redistribution.

Yep, and for thousands of years you did what ever your king or lord told you to do or you were murdered, women were property without any rights, and blood letting was considered evidence based medicine. Personally, I'm pretty happy that we aren't living in the 1600s anymore. But hey, everything we have today that wasn't around at the time of Jesus (since we are, after all, talking about "thousands of years") could easily be paid off of things like gas taxes or taxes on goods, right?

Also, the marginal utility of money is exactly the same for someone making $20k and trying to figure out whether they pay rent or eat today, as someone who makes $300k and is trying to figure out where their next vacation is to, right?

There's a reason why the Fair Tax is on the fringe of the Republican party.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
As compared to the "This argument again, taxes are THEFT!" argument because, hey, all government is bad!

Remind me again, where do you live where all of the local streets are provided by a private company?
Remind me again where the case study for a private police force is?
If private fire departments are so much cheaper and more efficient, why isn't Rural Metro's fire division not growing by leaps and bounds?
If you're too poor to pay for your private fire department, I guess you should just accept that you shouldn't be poor when your house burns down too, right?
that’s kind of a rough argument for govt fire depts because in most municipalities if you are “too poor” to pay your fire dept fee (usually a line item assesment to property tax) they literally come and take your house

At least a private company could just deny service but you would be able to live there.....

But that was a rabbit trail....sorry

Reactions: 1 user
As compared to the "This argument again, taxes are THEFT!" argument because, hey, all government is bad!

Remind me again, where do you live where all of the local streets are provided by a private company?
Remind me again where the case study for a private police force is?
If private fire departments are so much cheaper and more efficient, why isn't Rural Metro's fire division not growing by leaps and bounds?
If you're too poor to pay for your private fire department, I guess you should just accept that you shouldn't be poor when your house burns down too, right?

Yep. These again, too.
Thanks for illustrating my point.

Members don't see this ad :)
So, where again is your tax free, no government heaven?
Probably not too far from the left wing utopia known as Venezuela.

In all seriousness the answer is somewhere in the middle. Even if its not an income tax there do need to be some taxes. I imagine most on the right are disgusted by the bloat in government. To the right a small government should be there to provide a military and for services that we need to do all together. Not to pick winners and losers in life, not to protect people from themselves and definitely not to force people to buy products (like the ACA does).

The left wants everyone regardless of interest in providing for themselves to be provided for.

IN the end your job either does or should have a policy on this stuff. My SDG has one including a “social media” policy.

You have to speak for yourself and if you are going to post something with your name on it there may be repercussions especially in EM. Not only should you hope your group is ok with it but same for the hospital. If you work for a religiously affiliated system it matters. If you work for a Jewish hospital system and are a neo nazi the hospital probably will want you fired.

Reactions: 1 users