Can you be in a D.O program and still become a neurosurgeon?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
a “superstar” to me means anyone who matches into a top program.

Okay this explains the misunderstanding since my view of superstar is someone who is essentially Rhodes/Gates/Marshall type at the medical school level, which is more specific than just matching into a top program.

If superstar = anyone matching into a top program, I generally agree with you and the lower than ideal match outcomes can be explained by anti DO bias, assuming the necessary criteria are met.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
DMU is in a more 'rural' location then KCU. Some people found some opportunities here but many I've talked to are going to many different places to join studies. Some east coast institutions, have a couple in the SW, etc. I'm sure people have opportunities where they're from too. And that's just the limited people I've talked to in my class. Every school is different and nobody is denying its much harder when you don't have research linkage, but certainly not impossible. Definitely agree though depending on what specialty you're trying to research with.

Agree. It is just tough, a lot of my very capable and intelligent friends with research experience before medical school are getting the silent treatment. I think it also has to do with the fact that we only have 5 weeks of summer (though i think that is changing to 8 weeks for the incoming class).

You do realize that things such as summer research options exist right? Not all research is done at the home medical school. The DO applicants who are aiming for super competitive specialties know they likely won’t find any on campus and they find opportunities outside of their home school. The state schools have access to research. All research at my school is done on campus. We publish in top journals every year.

Away rotations? Your kidding right? Getting away rotations or sub-i’s is not hard. You apply through VSAS and most spots are given away on a first come first serve basis. I’ve never heard of anyone having a hard time finding strong away rotations if they wanted them.

See above. You seem to be under the impression that putting together a good residency application is impossible from a DO school. It’s not. It’s more difficult yes but the motivated superstars find their opportunities and take advantage of them. More difficult does not mean it’s impossible

Would you like me to give you exact names of these people? We are also talking about people matching to AOA programs which makes the number of people matched gets bigger.

When you go to a DO school and want something competitive you know the odds are stacked against you. It’s very common to seek out the seniors applying or the ones that matched so you can mimic what they did. The group of people who are actually serious about pursuing competitive fields at DO schools is small and it’s not hard to know who people are and get advice from them.

Is there a good website or resource that helps students find research opportunities at different schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
It's very difficult to match neurosurgery as a DO, and unfortunately, I believe it is only going to get more difficult.

There are only 2 former AOA programs that are now ACGME approved. Of those 2 programs, there are only 3 spots. This year, only 2 of those spots were filled by DOs...meaning MDs are already filling into former AOA programs.

I don't know the future of the AOA neurosurgery programs that are not ACGME approved yet. The majority of them are already into their 3rd or 4th application for ACGME approval. I'm not one to speculate, but I wouldn't go into DO school depending on matching at one of these programs. Their future is uncertain and honestly appears grim.

As others have stated already in this thread (and as I have stated multiple times on these forums), you need to want neurosurgery with every fiber of your being if you plan on matching into this field. My statement holds true for both MD and DO applicants. This field is extremely competitive, and every spot at even the least competitive hospitals is highly desired. The candidates who I've met this year were top notch, and it blows my mind how many of them did not match. You need the board scores. You need the research/publications. You need the pedigree. You need the personality.

Knowing what I know now and knowing what I had to go through for four years of medical school, I would seriously reconsider going to a DO school if I was 100% set on neurosurgery. Maybe go through 1 or 2 additional application cycles to attempt getting into MD before comitting to DO. It'll make your life easier.

With that said, everybody wants to be a neurosurgeon when they first start medical school and the majority of those people can't commit to the field. So when I say that you should reconsider going to DO school if you are 100% certain on neurosurgery, I mean that. Odds are that you will fall into the majority who picks another specialty once you realize what neurosurgery really is. Only follow this advice if you cannot picture your life without neurosurgery in it.

Reactions: 3 users
Hello,

I have always been interested in neurosurgery as long as I can remember and now that I'm getting closer to make this dream a reality I wanted some advice before making any decision on how I should approach this. Generally, most neurosurgeons are M.D.'s, however I have found myself more intrigued with the D.O. program (not due to grades, but just interested in the holistic aspect of medicine ), and was wondering if there is even a route that leads to neurosurgery. With all this said, I do understand that my interests may change as i am going through residencies, fellowships etc., but until that day doesn't come I want to keep my goal set on neurosurgery.

Any kind of suggestions to comments would be appreciated. Thank you

Yes, you can. I think it's very difficult, if you are trying to do a neurosurgery residency program that is a M.D. program. But, there are neurosurgery residency programs that only take D.O. students. My friend, a D.O., graduated from this program. Neurosurgery Program | Current Residents - St. John Providence
There are others. I don't know how many there are, but they are there. I'm not a neurosurgeon.

Here is the caveat. I graduated from my D.O. school in 2009. I hear that with the residency programs being accredited by one body, programs like the above will fade away. SDN seems to confirm it. The gist is, there won't be programs that are only for D.O.'s. Traditionally, these were programs where D.O.'s had a very long shot of getting into, via the allopathic M.D. residency route. Such as, Urology, Neurosurgery, you get the idea.
Although in my graduating class, one person matched to a M.D. Urology residency program, and now he is a faculty member at a M.D. Urology residency program. He was our valedictorian and best medical student, though.

Last edited: