Can you cancel an ADT rotation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

steph curreus

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey quick question guys. If I set up an ADT rotation now, and decide I want to cancel due to changing your mind to a different specialty to apply for, personal issues that come up, etc. Are you allowed to cancel the rotation if its already getting set up on orders?

Just wanted to see if this is frowned upon or if programs are generally understandable if these kind of situations happen. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Yes you can. However, you should try your level best to not schedule one, have orders cut to go there and then come back and have them changed. We know that things change, and life happens which sometimes makes it impossible to travel. But, you are not just dealing with the HPSP office in this matter. It involves the coordination with the facility (tying up a rotation that someone else may have used), the Human Resource Command, every action that you cancel, make three actions that they will have to do (initial order, cancel initial order, issue a new order to a different place), and of course the HPSP office that basically has to fall on their sword with the other two entities.

Oh, and by the way, if the start date of the order has come and gone, or even a couple days beforehand, it will not be changed. I mention this because many orders start at school and 14 days later the student calls to say they can't make it to the facility and want the full 45 days at a different place. Nope, not going to happen. As a matter of fact, normally what happens here is that the order is changed to all 45 days at school with no rotation at a facility.