Can you defer if you get in off the waitlist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdubz

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm on a few waitlists myself, which I may or may not get off of. Can you defer if you get in off the waitlist? I have solid plans to take a year off, but if you can't defer off the waitlist, I might as well just drop off the waitlists. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Usually, you can't defer if you are offered an acceptance from a waitlist. There might be exceptions. If you are on a waitlist, try to find out the rules before you bail on a school!!!

I'm pretty sure you can. But it may depend on the specific school. I have heard of applicants who get off the waitlist in August right before school starts and they decide there's not enough time to move, etc. so they defer. Again, though, I don't know if this would work in all cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
From what I've heard no, you can't, though different schools probably have different rules, and I'm betting the less competetive ones are more flexible...check and see.

You can do so, but it depends on the school....they may have restrictions on deferal in the first place, and they may have a last date to grant deferals.

Check with the school.

I just emailed one of my schools to find out if I could defer if I got in off their waitlist- I'll let y'all know what they say ;)

I know that you can not defer from the Harvard waitlist, but other than that, I don't have a clue...

Lexy10,
Are you on the Harvard waitlist?
Just curious...

thanks for the help, i guess i'll just give everyone a call tomorrow.

almost certainly cannot defer off waitlists, since the reason waitlists are in place is to fill up their classes. schools dont like deferrals i believe