can you do "transitional year" strictly in FP, peds, ER, etc?

Discussion in 'Internship' started by jonnylingo, May 11, 2006.

  1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. jonnylingo

    jonnylingo Junior Member 10+ Year Member

    May 7, 2006
    Pardon my ignorance...

    From what I understand, trasitional year is an intern year with a MIX of Medicine, Surgery, OB/GYN, etc.

    Are there transitional years that are strictly Peds, FP, ER that would serve as your intern year before going into, say, PM&R, Ophthalmology, etc.?
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. mysophobe

    mysophobe Recovering Germophobe 5+ Year Member

    Mar 10, 2006
    Didn't someone just make a thread about this on this forum?
  4. angel80

    angel80 Senior Member 7+ Year Member

    Jan 27, 2006
    If you are talking about a 1 year program strictly in one field, they are called prelim years, not transitional years. There's another thread asking about which different prelim years are offerred.
  5. OSUdoc08

    OSUdoc08 Banned Banned

    Sep 30, 2003
    It is called a "specialty emphasis" internship.

    I know you can do them for EM.
  6. EctopicFetus

    EctopicFetus Keeping it funky enough 10+ Year Member

    May 3, 2004
    This might be an option for DOs but I have not heard of anything like this for MDs. There are Transitional years and they are all a little different but none do too much of anything. Think of being a 3rd yr student again... but this time you are the intern.

Share This Page