Can you fast-track into other fellowships (specifically addictions)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

BiscoDisco

Full Member
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I did a search and couldn't find much aside from a post about an addictions program at MUSC which allows PGY3s to apply. Does anyone know how common this is? Are you eligible to sit for both boards if you just complete four years of training?
 
The ACGME considered letting all fellowships fast track but this was very unpopular among general adult programs. It would advantage large programs with multiple fellowships and smaller programs would lose most of their PGY-IV residents. I'm sure MUSE allows PGY-IIIs to apply, that is different than going there for your PGY-IV year. Even if you could do your PGY-IV year there, you couldn't sit for both boards unless something has changed that I don't know about.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know we don't take PGY-4 transfers. It would be very hard to verify all competencies in only the last year. The good news is that it is relatively easy to get into very good addiction fellowships. A lot go unfilled. Yale has a big one with a good reputation.