Can you get Lasiks and still be a radiologist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Phaedrus

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have heard that if you want to go into radiology you shouldn't get lasiks surgery, because you can't read x-rays and stuff as well. Can this be true? I am interested in radiology, so I'm wondering if I should get lasiks.
Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

The risk, I believe is of diminished night vision (hi glare). Also, if you have a complication (infection being the major worry, though rare) and lose vision, you are in trouble. Personally, glasses are cool again and contacts can go to -20 now -- I wouldn't risk it.

Agree. No way would I risk it. The consequences of a drop of even a few lines of vision are too great. If you're a pro surfer & you drop a few lines, it probably doesn't matter so much, but for a surgeon or radiologist, it could be the end of your career

Members don't see this ad :)
I had LASIK done about 4 yrs ago and I couldn't be happier. Yeah, I get a sligh halo at times when my eyes get really dry or really tired (usually after benders), but it has not seemed to affect any films I've ever looked at, CT, MRI, or plain. Granted I'm still a student, but I've spent some time in the reading room and I've tried to pay attention to any distortion I might have. The other issue is that I had this done long ago, and I might have been a bit naive to think I wouldn't have problems, but if I had to choose to do it NOW, I might do A LOT of research to find the best place to get it done, even if it was across the country.

I have had it done. I know 4 other radiologists personally that have had it done. I had 20/15 vision with glasses and 20/20 with Lasik. It may have slightly affected my far vision but it didn't affect my near vision for reading films at all. The visual acuity for required for film reading is really not that high.

samsoccer7 said:
if I had to choose to do it NOW, I might do A LOT of research to find the best place to get it done, even if it was across the country.
That is so true. There is a big difference between some of the academic or corneal fellowship trained surgeons who do LASIK & some of the financially driven cowboys with no fellowship training. I've seen some disasters because the subtle signs of early keratoconus were missed. These people end up with relentless corneal thinning, with no other alternative but corneal grafting.

QUOTE=Goober] The visual acuity for required for film reading is really not that high.[/QUOTE]

There's not much difference between 20/20 & 20/15, & 20/20 is still `normal' anyway. I think a radiologist would struggle to see fine detail with the distortion induced by keratoectasia (corneal thinning & irregular topography)

Don't get me wrong, it is a safe procedure, with > 95 % of people very happy. If I was a pro surfer & just wanted to see where the babes are on the beach, I'd go for it :D , but I wouldn't gamble my surgical career on a procedure with a 1% risk of serious vision loss. I guess it depends on your tolerance to risk & everyone's different.

No way would I risk it. I had a friend who had terrible blurred vision & couldn't drive at night for some reason. He was OK during the day, but just couldn't see at night.