Navy Can you get licensed through AEGD/GPR

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

LFA20

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I passed both part I and II but failed my NERB written portion(diagnostic skills examination). I was just wondering about this: I know I don't need to pass any of the nerb exam in order to graduate but in the navy I can still work correct? I am under hscp. I heard that I just won't be able to receive special pay with no license. However that should change after completion of AEGD/GPR right?

Note: I am planning on retaking the nerb exam again and also pass all the other clinical portion of the exam but I just want to know about the situation above.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

If you don't have a license within 18 months of graduation (if doing an AEGD) you'll be kicked out. You will also not be eligible for special pay until licensed. It is in your interest to get licensed ASAP.

If you don't have a license within 18 months of graduation (if doing an AEGD) you'll be kicked out. You will also not be eligible for special pay until licensed. It is in your interest to get licensed ASAP.

If you do an AEGD are you automatically licensed upon completion of the program? Or do you need to take some sort of exam?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you do an AEGD are you automatically licensed upon completion of the program? Or do you need to take some sort of exam?
Look into a NY license - if memory serves, they make the exam easy because you're required to do an AEGD/GPR after graduation. Good luck.

So what's the point of doing the aegd then? Just to buy time to get licensed? Sorry I am. It familiar with this whole process

How does more training and more specialty exposure strike you?

And the ability in a few states to apply for licensure sans licensing exam.

Reactions: 1 user
definitely retake that NERB DSE so you can get licensed. i don't know how it works for the navy, but for the army's sake (as i was told by my assignment officer) you will not receive licensure pay+you cannot be stationed overseas without a state license.

if you are stationed stateside you probably want that state license to moonlight if possible

and for the sake of civilian purposes, doing a 1 year aegd/gpr grants you a NY state license. im not sure of how the military looks at that

definitely retake that NERB DSE so you can get licensed. i don't know how it works for the navy, but for the army's sake (as i was told by my assignment officer) you will not receive licensure pay+you cannot be stationed overseas without a state license.

if you are stationed stateside you probably want that state license to moonlight if possible

and for the sake of civilian purposes, doing a 1 year aegd/gpr grants you a NY state license. im not sure of how the military looks at that

I thought you had to do 1 year aegd or GPR in the state of NY for you to get a NY state license??

I thought you had to do 1 year aegd or GPR in the state of NY for you to get a NY state license??

"Beginning January 1, 2007, all applicants for initial licensure must complete an approved clinically-based dental residency program of at least one year's duration. A clinical (practical) examination such as NERB will not be accepted for initial licensure after December 31, 2006. "

it just has to be an accredited program