• Set Yourself Up For Success Webinar

October 6, 2021 at 2 PM Eastern/11 AM Pacific
    SDN and Osmosis are teaming up to help you get set up for success this school year! We'll be covering study tips, healthy habits, and meeting mentors.

Register Now!

• Site Updates Coming Soon

Site updates are coming next week on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Click the button below to learn more!

LEARN MORE

Navy Can you get licensed through AEGD/GPR

NavyDentist2

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2013
  1. Dentist
I passed both part I and II but failed my NERB written portion(diagnostic skills examination). I was just wondering about this: I know I don't need to pass any of the nerb exam in order to graduate but in the navy I can still work correct? I am under hscp. I heard that I just won't be able to receive special pay with no license. However that should change after completion of AEGD/GPR right?

Note: I am planning on retaking the nerb exam again and also pass all the other clinical portion of the exam but I just want to know about the situation above.

Thanks

Upvote 0

NavyDentist2

7+ Year Member
May 17, 2013
  1. Dentist
If you don't have a license within 18 months of graduation (if doing an AEGD) you'll be kicked out. You will also not be eligible for special pay until licensed. It is in your interest to get licensed ASAP.

If you do an AEGD are you automatically licensed upon completion of the program? Or do you need to take some sort of exam?

Upvote 0
About the Ads

Bis-GMA111

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2010
  1. Dentist
definitely retake that NERB DSE so you can get licensed. i don't know how it works for the navy, but for the army's sake (as i was told by my assignment officer) you will not receive licensure pay+you cannot be stationed overseas without a state license.

if you are stationed stateside you probably want that state license to moonlight if possible

and for the sake of civilian purposes, doing a 1 year aegd/gpr grants you a NY state license. im not sure of how the military looks at that

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

drill-and-fill

10+ Year Member
Jun 3, 2011
  1. Dentist
definitely retake that NERB DSE so you can get licensed. i don't know how it works for the navy, but for the army's sake (as i was told by my assignment officer) you will not receive licensure pay+you cannot be stationed overseas without a state license.

if you are stationed stateside you probably want that state license to moonlight if possible

and for the sake of civilian purposes, doing a 1 year aegd/gpr grants you a NY state license. im not sure of how the military looks at that

I thought you had to do 1 year aegd or GPR in the state of NY for you to get a NY state license??

Upvote 0

Bis-GMA111

10+ Year Member
Nov 7, 2010
  1. Dentist
I thought you had to do 1 year aegd or GPR in the state of NY for you to get a NY state license??

"Beginning January 1, 2007, all applicants for initial licensure must complete an approved clinically-based dental residency program of at least one year's duration. A clinical (practical) examination such as NERB will not be accepted for initial licensure after December 31, 2006. "

it just has to be an accredited program

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
About the Ads
This thread is more than 3 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.