Can you get out of your matched position?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

foodcoma

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even tho i matched into a great place, i'm not completelyyyyyyyyy in love with my new future home...out of curiosity, what is the process someone goes through to get out of the matched position before my ca-1 year starts in a year? do i start contacting programs now? is it even possible to get out of this or is it binding ?

fear of committment...need that pre-nup.

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, every second that I spend doing something that I'm not passionate about (ie IM, surg, peds, and everything non anesth.) is one less second until I can start learning about something that truly interests me. I would not add an extra year of hoops to jump through even if I was assured a spot anywhere I wanted with a $10K bonus. I am sure that you could talk to the PD and they could let you out of the contract... but you better make damn sure that is what you want. Nothing is a sure thing next year and you'll be explaining this "red flag" at every interview.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do not burn bridges -- the business side is a small world and I think the cons of screwing a program will surely outway any -- especially financial -- gains. Unless you want to be a big name why switch? Location is something you should have long ago considered. Name is basically a stupid reason, as your switch will likely be a horizontal one or at least a shallow sloped one. Think about your long term goals -- period. :thumbup:
2 pennys

By common sense, you can violate your match contract by resigning from your residency program. Certainly we see people doing it in order to switch specialties (example: a neurology prelim who decides to go categorical IM and look for an outside-the-match IM spot).

However, I think the trouble is that if you resign and then look for a new spot in anesthesia, would anyone want to hire you? Conversely, would anyone want to hire a resident who is dropping out of their matched program even before they started, without a very good (i.e. usually family-based) reason? There definitely are "outside the match" CA-1 positions available (I know a couple previously unmatched prelims who signed contracts) but I don't know how easy it is to get one -- nor do I know how desirable the positions offered a year from now will be.

Check out this thread, too: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=380900

Hey foodcoma, let me 1st introduce myself, I'm an anes. res. and I matched at my #1 program couple yrs ago. I hate the city I live in but I ranked the place for personal reasons. I'll tell you that depending on your personal situation (married, kids, etc..) consider doing at least CA1, you can always transfer to another program (I know at least 3 that did that) also, Ur going to be so busy that what a year or 2 in the large scheme of things.

Hey foodcoma, let me 1st introduce myself, I'm an anes. res. and I matched at my #1 program couple yrs ago. I hate the city I live in but I ranked the place for personal reasons. I'll tell you that depending on your personal situation (married, kids, etc..) consider doing at least CA1, you can always transfer to another program (I know at least 3 that did that) also, Ur going to be so busy that what a year or 2 in the large scheme of things.

Thats what I'm planning on doing. I'm gonna do my TY and then try to search out some open CA1 positions. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll work out.

hello doctors,

If you know anyone here who is planning leave their CA-1 pos. to transfer to another CA-1 program, pls let me know. So we can contact that soon-to-be unfilled/vacant spot.

My husband is a prelim Surgery PGY-1 resident. His contract ends this June 2007.

He did not get matched for 2007, and was unable to secure an Anesth spot during scramble.

I'm a new FNP who's willing to work anywhere......whatever state.......my husband has my 100% support. (Anyway, we've been married for 6 yrs----and we've been together since his MS-1).
I will go with him wherever he gets accepted for residency. I prioritize his profession more than mine.

For now, while he's busy fulfilling a very busy preliminary surgery 1-year contract, here am I helping him out......always on the watch for any unfilled spots.

Thank you so much, and be blessed...

Suns

out of curiosity, what is the process someone goes through to get out of the matched position before my ca-1 year starts in a year? do i start contacting programs now? is it even possible to get out of this or is it binding ?

happens all the time. just ask around. a lot of people switch in and out of programs. wait until you're into your pgy-1 year, and start asking at the programs you want to be at if they have an opening. wait until you have a new spot secured before you tell the other program. most pd's would rather not have a resident who's there and who's miserable, and will usually gladly let you out of your committment. there are plenty of other people who'd be happy to have your spot at the program you matched into.

I guess that I will look at it from a pessimistic point of view.

If you were not able to match into a program that was anywhere near one of your top choices, what will change to make you suddenly MORE competitive for a position at a top notch program that you (and probably many others) desire? You give no strong reasons for wanting a different program. There are often good programs that have some advanced level (CA-1, CA-2) positions you may be able to transfer into, but chances are you will be competing with quite a few people; many of the CA-1 spots get filled internally by surgery or IM residents making a change. Transferring after the CA-1 year is often a red flag, so people will be looking very closely at that to find out the reason for your change. Don't get me wrong, there is a chance you could secure a wonderful position at a great program. But there is also the chance that you get left high and dry.

Is your intern year going to allow you time away for interviewing at these programs? What will your current program think when they here you are interviewing elsewhere before even starting the CA-1 year? What program would take you without speaking with the program director at your current program? If you don't get a spot that is more desirable, will you sabotage yourself in your current program? These are all things that need to be considered.

For those 3rd year students who are going to be in this position next year, this is a great lesson. When you are making your match list, ask yourself if you would be better off scrambling or going to the program at the bottom of your list. If you will not be satisfied with going to that program, take it off of your list. To be asking this question a couple of days after the match is not ideal. It is an issue that has to be addressed before the rank list is submitted.

If you matched at a position unfortunately by the match regulations you have to go there. It is not up to your program director. Even if he/she says it is OK to go and your desired program says they have a spot for you it still depends on what the NRMP says. You must submit an official waiver and send it in to [email protected]. The match commitment is binding. They usually grant waivers if it will prove to be a "serious hardship" to you to stay in your current position. Examples are your spouse not being able to come with you, you are taking care of a very sick family member, etc. The turn around time for a response is 7-10 business days. I am going through this process right now. PM me if you have any questions. Good Luck.

Thats what I'm planning on doing. I'm gonna do my TY and then try to search out some open CA1 positions. Maybe I'll get lucky and it'll work out.
So if you are matched as a PGY1 and continue to stick it out for that first year, at what point do you start applying to programs and how do you even begin the search? Do you tell your program director first that you plan on doing this so that you can be helped out? or do you just do the work yourself and tell the program after you secured a position?

I would think that you would have to run it by your PD, then NRMP then apply in that order. It sounds like a big mess. It seems like, in residency, you have to sacrifice a lot for the pursuit of happiness. :(

Ok in reply to all your questions. first off, thanks for all the posts--- it seems like this topic is important to a lot of people. I actually got my 4th choice for anesthesia, at a pretty well known program in the east. I'm happy, really (i guess). when i made my rank list, i did it according to where i wanted to end up academically for training. but now i've come to realize that life is about quality of life, and with all the sacrifices we've made in medicine, i feel that location and being around the people you want to be around is not one of the sacrifices we should be making, b/c after all, we've made way too many sacrifices already. so while i got a fantastic spot, it's not anywhere near my family, signficant other, etc. and now i'm willing to compromise on this fanatastic spot for a place closer to where i want to be. i guess the issue now is whether i can find an EQUALLY great/university/name program that is willing to transfer me/and more necessary, one that will have open spots as well. my post here was just to get a guage on the situation: should i even contact PDs at other programs to see if they have open spots (and if so, when is a good time, now or into my internship year or into my CA-1 year)....b/c by contacting PDs, you're putting your name on a black list which could even compromise me getting any fellowships at these other places in the future. overall, it has nothing to do with the place that i'm at now. i just am so sick of giving things up for medicine, and have realized that all the things I had so pursued in the past 8 years are not the things that really matter in life. ....
thanks all to your recommendations